Referencing Sketch elements to boundaries of part

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tjmurphy

Referencing Sketch elements to boundaries of part

Post by tjmurphy »

Hi,

I'm new to FreeCAD after years of using various other CAD software.

Let's say I want to make a 30mm cube. On one face, I want to drill a hole in each corner (4 holes), 4mm in diameter and 5mm from each corner. Each one should be 10mm deep.

Here's a quick mspaint mockup:

So I make a square Sketch of 30mm, then I Pad it to 30mm in the final dimension. Then I select the face I want, create a new Sketch, and draw 4 circles on it. Once I get those circles positioned, I'll use the Pocket tool.

Where I'm struggling is how to place the holes where I want. I'm trying to index my 5mm-from-the-edge dimensions by using the Veritcal Distance constraint and the Horizontal Distance constraint. I click the centers of my circular sketches to define one end of the Dimension, but then when I click the edge of the cube face, I'm unable to actually select that. It's like the cube outline doesn't exist. Am I doing something wrong? I ought to be able to define dimensions relative to the edge; that's how I'm used to doing this. I do have the red and green lines associated with the main axes of the entire part, and that works for the edges aligned to those, but I can't do the rest. And of course I can do the math and position them 20mm from each other, but it would be great to index from the edges. Is that possible?

Thanks!
Bance
Veteran

Re: Referencing Sketch elements to boundaries of part

Post by Bance »

There are tools for this....

Try a tutorial:-
Basic_Part_Design_Tutorial_017