I want to draw a line then erase part of it.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
degarb

I want to draw a line then erase part of it.

Post by degarb »

I downloaded cad, basically to draw a pizza slice with pepperoni. 2 D only. This is the part that the machine must cut, a pizza slice.

So, I am only interested in 2D, arcs and lines--nothing more. I do not want tutorials on features I do not need to know.

My first question is how do I draw a line and erase unnecessary parts of the line. (I found draft and grid. I figured out box zoom. I figured out how to do arcs and lines.) THe best I can tell from googling is that this is not built in or possible.

So, I got one line on a drawing and I wan't to erase part of it. How?
chrisb
Veteran

Re: I want to draw a line then erase part of it.

Post by chrisb »

You don't like to read much, I'll try to be short: Use Sketcher. It has a trim function. Then use Path workbench. The dragknife dressup may be suitable for pizza cutting.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
degarb

Post by degarb »

I spent the last 6 hours trying different programs that all have problems.

I can do everything I need in freecad, except start with a simple grid of 24 by 24. There are no scroll bars, which makes using the program impossible, unless there is a trick. I cannot drag the grid around, and cant see the tiny squares at the size needed to draw arcs and lines.

Actually, I scaled everything to 1 cm equals one inche in the hand drafted image that I carefully scanned to tiff.

The drawing is exactly 24 cm to 24 cm. I dont know if the cad program needs 24 by 24 inches or 61 cm by 61 cm, each square is a cm. I don't know what I should do. Even if I knew, I don't seem to have any zoom control , drawing drag control, or any meaningfull setup of the grid to exclude unused gridlines that makes it harder to draw.

Also, if I export the drawing to dxf, will stableworks be able to properly import it and they can modify and delete lines of any changes? or am I wasting time trying to learn freecad to draw a simple pizza slice. So far, I cant make head or tails of any tutorials on youtube so far, because: they do not apply to what I want to do; they flip past menu choices so fast that I cannot even pause to see what they click; most videos don't talk; most videos have menus totally unlike mine.

It would be so much easier to convert my tiff scan to dxf file. I tried this but I cannot draw on the image that is imported. So, I think, but not sure, that I am doing nothing by converting it. the guy on youtube just imported the image and started to draw on it, which tells me I must draw on top of the tiff to get me svg lines, what ever that is. But this didn't work for me.

Where are the scroll bars? Where is the eraser? Where is the grid setup? These would be my number one priority in coding the next version.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Try MS paint ought to be simple enough.....
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

degarb wrote: Sat Apr 17, 2021 12:22 am There are no scroll bars, which makes using the program impossible, unless there is a trick.
There is no trick. So if it is really as you say, you can stop reading here.

I you really want to continue: have a look at the Mouse Models; you may find one enabling you to sweep and pan. You can also pan with the arrow keys after clicking into 3D view.

I recommend to set the unit system to inches if you want to model in inches and then use Sketcher for your drawings. There are written Tutorials, which may fit better to your pace. For Sketcher you may have a look at the document linked below.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

here's a thought:

why not ask someone to do it for you, there are people here that will have it done quite quickly,
the only thing that is asked in return is that you donate to the freecad project.

that way you do not have to read or learn anything, you just have to be able to explain what you want as end result well enough.

just say the word and this thread will be moved to "job offers", you donate what you think its worth,
and can walk away happily with a working dxf.
degarb

Post by degarb »

chrisb wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:06 pm You don't like to read much, I'll try to be short: Use Sketcher. It has a trim function. Then use Path workbench. The dragknife dressup may be suitable for pizza cutting.
I drew everything in draft, when I switch to sketcher most of the toolbar items are greyed out. I have no open dialogs, and googled it for an hour, with no solution. It was greyed in .17 and .19. shutting down and restarting doesn't help. Tried toggling edit mode.

Maybe a preference? Or is there some trick between switching workbenches?

I see the manual for that tool. It shows a different button than one I have, also, my tool is hidden behing the more arrow. Nevertheless, it is greyed, grayed, and useless.
degarb

Post by degarb »

chrisb wrote: Fri Apr 16, 2021 9:06 pm You don't like to read much, I'll try to be short: Use Sketcher. It has a trim function. Then use Path workbench. The dragknife dressup may be suitable for pizza cutting.
I drew everything in draft, when I switch to sketcher most of the toolbar items are greyed out. I have no open dialogs, and googled it for an hour, with no solution. It was greyed in .17 and .19. shutting down and restarting doesn't help. Tried toggling edit mode.

Maybe a preference? Or is there some trick between switching workbenches?

I see the manual for that tool. It shows a different button than one I have, also, my tool is hidden behing the more arrow. Nevertheless, it is greyed, grayed, and useless.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

See your other post.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Create a sketch and edit it. Then the icons become active.