g r hotkey not working half the time

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
degarb

g r hotkey not working half the time

Post by degarb »

I am trying to learn top view draft only with grid.

However, my grid keeps disappearing, even though in preferences I have it to always show grid.

It disappears in draft mode, and only half of the time I can get my grid back by using g then r hotkey combination.

Is this a bug in the program? I don't see any cap lock on. I do see a gui command that says that I am toggling the grid, but no grid is appearing.

wp says I have a grid.
degarb

Re: g r hotkey not working half the time

Post by degarb »

Also, I used to regain my workspace after the program would spasm for some reason with w p. But no more. I cann't get rid of the skew today.

I think there needs to be a hot key to immediately restore: 1. top view 2. no skew view 3. get my grid back.

How is anyone supposed to use the program if the hotkeys are not doing what they say. Before all I needed was w p and g r. Now, I got no grid and I can't get w p topview to restore a standard x y grid.

I have invested 3 days trying to learn this, and now I can't even get my grid and restore top view as over the last 3 days. The documents clearly state that gr toggles the grid. wp should restore a non skewed top view.

It most likely is some other button is clicked, but I don't know what that could be. Else, I need to delete and reinstall?

After shutting down the program and restarting it. The same problem, except that now I can't rename the application, which I could before closing the program.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

I'd ask for my money back :lol:
degarb

Post by degarb »

Bance wrote: Mon Apr 19, 2021 3:47 pm I'd ask for my money back :lol:
I switched back to .17. But I accidentally entered 20 into a line angle and the entire view skewed, And I can't get my xy top view back , unmolested by a skew.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

Ask for compensation :lol:
degarb

Post by degarb »

So, you are actually saying that this a bug and not user error?

The work around was to switch to .17 for a while. After .19 cooled for long enough, I fired it back up and the grid was there.

Surely, though, since the program is so hotkey touchy, I must have did something wrong.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

How can I possibly know what you are doing?
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

The draft grid does have some issues. But it should display properly whenever you invoke a command. And the G,R shortcut should work fine, although you may have to use it twice in some cases.

Please look at the Std_ViewHome command.
degarb

Post by degarb »

Thanks. "Invoke a command", like make a line? or something else, like save or export?
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

... OK, instead of 'whenever you invoke a command' I should have said: 'whenever you invoke a Draft command that requires the user to pick points in the 3D view (but there may be exceptions)'.