freecad will not start on Win 7

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
palle b

freecad will not start on Win 7

Post by palle b »

Hi this is my firat post here.

Freecad 0.19.1 try to start up, open the window, and then crash. it says "FreeCAD main executable stopped working"?
on my laptop core i-5, 2,4gh, 8gb ram, running Win7 64bit, with the newest java(think i read thats important somewhere?).
The pc can run inventor 15 and the latest fusion 360.

I have been googling and reading here on the forum, to see if theres an obvious answer to the problem.

I changed from classic theme, to basic, since i've read that could be a problem.

One thing i havent tried is to start from console, since I dont know how?

Thanks in advance
Palle B
freedman
Veteran

Re: freecad will not start on Win 7

Post by freedman »

Can you add your video card/processor type to the list?
palle b

Post by palle b »

I Have no data on the graphics card but it can run fusion 360?
Processor is: Intel(R)Core(TM)I5 243M @2,4GHz 8,00GB RAM
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

palle b wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 4:32 pm I Have no data on the graphics card
Right-click Computer > Manage and as per screenshot below expand Device Manager > Display Adapters Note down your equivalent info as shown below and please feedback.
Win7_DisplayAdapter.jpg
Win7_DisplayAdapter.jpg (111.6 KiB) Viewed 2792 times
palle b

Post by palle b »

Thanks

NVIDIA GeForce GT 540M
Driverversion: 8.17.12.6686
I tried to update to the latest driver, but it its running the latest available.

// Palle B
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Did you check the Known OS specific issues?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
palle b

Post by palle b »

chrisb wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:07 pm Did you check the Known OS specific issues?
I should say that i have?
I've added Freecad.exe, to use NVIDIA as prefered processor in 3d programs, in Nvidia's controlpanel.
And as mentioned above, changed the view from classic to basic theme.

Thank you
// Palle B
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

palle b wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 2:15 am
chrisb wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 11:07 pm Did you check the Known OS specific issues?
I should say that i have?
I've added Freecad.exe, to use NVIDIA as prefered processor in 3d programs, in Nvidia's controlpanel.
And as mentioned above, changed the view from classic to basic theme.

Thank you
// Palle B
So did that then resolve the problem or does FreeCAD still not work?

according to this the last update from Nvidia was 20th March 2018, but as they say that is their reference driver and they recommend that you go to your laptop manufacturer's web site and get their last drive since it may be different than the reference driver.
https://www.nvidia.com/download/find.aspx
palle b wrote: Thu Apr 22, 2021 12:43 pm The pc can run inventor 15 and the latest fusion 360.
Not for much longer, I think. I am sure I read somewhere that they have announced that the then current version very soon will not be able to run on Windows 7 since it is now a dead unsupported OS.

Also I don't know if those use OpenGL or not. FreeCAD uses OpenGL not Windows' directx.
palle b

Post by palle b »

Så løste det derefter problemet, eller fungerer FreeCAD stadig ikke?
It dident solve the problem, but it's like that it takes a few seconds longer before crash.(10sek after the freecad window opens)
Ikke meget længere, tror jeg. Jeg er sikker på, at jeg læste et eller andet sted, at de har meddelt, at den daværende aktuelle version meget snart ikke kan køre på Windows 7, da det nu er et dødt ikke-understøttet operativsystem.

Jeg ved heller ikke, om de bruger OpenGL eller ej. FreeCAD bruger OpenGL ikke Windows 'directx.
Im sure youre right :)
And Fusion 360 has become very exspensive, so it doesnt have to anymore :)

It's my "playaround in the workshop" laptop, that holds some plc,cnc and automotive ECU/diagnostics software.
It would be great if i could run Freecad on it also.

Thanks
// Palle B
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

palle b wrote: Fri Apr 23, 2021 3:59 am It's my "playaround in the workshop" laptop, that holds some plc,cnc and automotive ECU/diagnostics software.
Yes, things like that become a problem.

Another option install Linux as well as leaving the old Windows. Long term that is likely a better idea. FreeCAD should be able to work on Win7 now but sooner or later it will no longer be able to, just like the end of Win XP. When you install Linux you can adjust the current Windows partition to make room for a Linux partition, then at boot you can select either OS (Linux will also run directly from a USB device etc.) . If you do decide to try Linux, I personally have found Kubuntu (currently 20.04) to be the best for Windows users since it is Ubuntu with KDE Plasma for the GUI. KDE Plasma is a bit more Windows like where as standard Ubuntu has a more unusually GUI that does work well but is just different. Kubuntu can use software made for Ubuntu seamlessly in pretty much all cases.

Is your CNC software, CNC controller software? If so does it communicate with the CNC machine via a Parallel port? I am just curious. If it is then perhaps you could look at LinuxCNC and see if that would suit your needs better?

I wonder if any of those other programs could run in Wine on Linux?

Jim