[Solved] Many occurrences of error message '(call stack is not deep enough)'

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
guiv

[Solved] Many occurrences of error message '(call stack is not deep enough)'

Post by guiv »

I get a lot of error messages '(call stack is not deep enough)' while using FreeCAD 0.19
This looks like a bug to me, but according to bug reporting rules I first post in Help forum before creating an issue in bug tracker.

Configuration (copy-paste from 'About' window):
OS: openSUSE Tumbleweed (KDE//usr/share/xsessions/plasma5)
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.Unknown
Build type: Release
Python version: 3.8.8
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 3.1.3
OCC version: 7.5.1
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)

Version of package as displayed by package manager:
FreeCAD 0.19.1-1.2 - x86_64

It is very probable my problem is linked to this one: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=56148, however I can't be 100% sure.

One trivial way to reproduce issue:
- create one file xxx.FCStd, with one basic part (e.g. a simple cube, with all default values)
- save file, close FreeCAD
- open file from file manager, or from console: nothing is show on screen, and one occurrence of error message is displayed for each item in file. Example with a file containing only a simple cube: "Cannot create object 'Box': (call stack is not deep enough)"
Notes:
- close file, re-open it from FreeCAD file menu: part is shown correctly, without this error message
- I did not have the problem while I was using FreeCAD 0.18

This error message is also quite often displayed while manipulating parts, and is really annoying. Several times during part creation I had to abort some design steps, cancel and restart. However those occurrences seem more random to me. I am not (yet) able to provide a detailed description of another scenario which leads systematically to the error. If I can find any I will update this post.

As openSUSE Tumbleweed is a rolling release, FreeCAD's dependencies may be updated quite often. If it has any impact I will update this post.
I understand that the problem may be related to some specific versions of dependencies. However I am a beginner in FreeCAD, and I do not know which ones could be interesting to ease bug's analysis... Please do ask if any additional information could help.
Last edited by guiv on Wed Aug 25, 2021 10:05 pm, edited 3 times in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Many occurrences of error message '(call stack is not deep enough)'

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

Please retry with the latest AppImage from here: https://github.com/FreeCAD/FreeCAD-Bund ... kly-builds and report back.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
guiv

Post by guiv »

Hi, and thanks for your reply
Just tested with the latest AppImage, problem is solved (at least when opening a file from console), thanks !

Tested in the following configuration:
OS: openSUSE Tumbleweed (KDE//usr/share/xsessions/plasma5)
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.24789 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 31b0f25b6df1d1707fdf74135093831eec4f0281
Python version: 3.9.2
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.1
Locale: French/France (fr_FR)

Note: openSUSE tumbleweed is working with a more recent version of Qt (5.15.2), this could be a possible explanation
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Thanks for the feedback. You may prepend "[Solved]" to the subject of the first post.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
rolfKuck

Re: [Solved] Many occurrences of error message '(call stack is not deep enough)'

Post by rolfKuck »

i experienced the same problem on openSUSE Tumbleweed
we should let openSUSE know about this
so that they can either fix the problem or withdraw FreeCAD from their repositories entirely
does anybody know where/how to report the issue
to the openSUSE team
?
StefanBruens

Re: [Solved] Many occurrences of error message '(call stack is not deep enough)'

Post by StefanBruens »

The AppImage is not a solution, it is a workaround.

If the problem is caused by Qt 5.12, the AppImage will be screwed soon as well (Qt 5.12 EOL: 2021-12-05).

If this is a problem which is solved in Git, bug not 0.19.1, then anybody used the latest stable release is screwed as well.
guiv

Post by guiv »

StefanBruens wrote: Thu May 06, 2021 11:06 am The AppImage is not a solution, it is a workaround.

If the problem is caused by Qt 5.12, the AppImage will be screwed soon as well (Qt 5.12 EOL: 2021-12-05).
I agree about the workaround. At least it makes it usable, until a better solution is found.
Regarding Qt version, opensuse tumbleweed uses a more recent version (Qt version: 5.15.2) than the AppImage I have tested (5.12.9)

It also means the problem could come back when the AppImage integrates an updated Qt...
rolfKuck

Post by rolfKuck »

the existence of a workaround
does not solve the issue
(i agree with Stefan)

hence i suggest changing the [SOLVED] status

an investigating into the issue
by knowledgable people (FreeCAD / Dolphin / openSUSE)
might lead to an actual solution

only this will avoid further frustration
especially to users giving FreeCAD
a first try by means of installing from the openSUSE repos
Syres
Veteran

Post by Syres »

guiv wrote: Mon Apr 26, 2021 8:25 pm Coin version: 3.1.3
If you type the following in the Python Console, what do you get?

Code: Select all

import pivy
pivy.__version__
There have been similar error messages where python-pivy (for Python 3) was missing but could it be that there's an old version on your system?
guiv

Post by guiv »

Code: Select all

>>> import pivy
>>> pivy.__version__
'0.6.5'