How many Bodies

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
dwehm1

How many Bodies

Postby dwehm1 » Sat May 01, 2021 3:20 pm

Hi everyone, I have a quick question, I am designing one sketch. It seems like I get an error a lot in Part design when I try the Fillet. Some thing along the lines of "not part of an active body"
drmacro

Re: How many Bodies

Postby drmacro » Sat May 01, 2021 4:02 pm

In Part Design the sketch has to be in the active body.

Normally, when you switch to Part Design workbench and click the new sketch icon, if there is a active Body, the sketch is created in the Body.

If there is no active Body, then one is created and the sketch is added to it.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."

My beginners, written treatise: Learning FreeCAD
thomas-neemann

Postby thomas-neemann » Sat May 01, 2021 4:56 pm

dwehm1 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:20 pm Hi everyone, I have a quick question, I am designing one sketch. It seems like I get an error a lot in Part design when I try the Fillet. Some thing along the lines of "not part of an active body"
the realthunder version can handle several parts.
falls ein video-link von mir schwarz und nicht anklickbar sein sollte, hier der kanal: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVcztV ... 03GgKekj_g
es ist auch möglich auf antworten zu klicken um den link zu sehen.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat May 01, 2021 5:30 pm

Adding to drmacro, you cannot use the PartDesign fillet dressup to fillet a sketch. It can only fillet solids. To include the fillets in the sketch you have to edit the sketch.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat May 01, 2021 5:31 pm

thomas-neemann wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:56 pm the realthunder version can handle several parts.
Can it fillet sketches in PartDesign?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
thomas-neemann

Postby thomas-neemann » Sat May 01, 2021 5:56 pm

chrisb wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 5:31 pm
thomas-neemann wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 4:56 pm the realthunder version can handle several parts.
Can it fillet sketches in PartDesign?

I do not know that. I am referring to it here

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 32#p500400

"Realthunders Version kann mit mutliple solids umgehen."
falls ein video-link von mir schwarz und nicht anklickbar sein sollte, hier der kanal: https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCVcztV ... 03GgKekj_g
chrisb

Postby chrisb » Sat May 01, 2021 6:07 pm

What has it to do with OPs question?
thomas-neemann

Postby thomas-neemann » Sat May 01, 2021 6:27 pm

chrisb wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 6:07 pm What has it to do with OPs question?
if i understand correctly i have answered the question. if i got it wrong i delete my answers
Modeler

Postby Modeler » Wed May 05, 2021 3:39 am

dwehm1 wrote: Sat May 01, 2021 3:20 pm Hi everyone, I have a quick question, I am designing one sketch. It seems like I get an error a lot in Part design when I try the Fillet. Some thing along the lines of "not part of an active body"
I assume you have multiple bodies in your drawing. If you select an object from an inactive body and try to fillet it the program will give an error. If you only have 1 body but it is not active the same thing will happen.

Select the body you want to fillet in the Tree View panel, right click and select Toggle Active Body