Double clicking a part behaviour has changed...

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
R23D

Re: Double clicking a part behaviour has changed...

Post by R23D »

it is useful for those that haven't yet grasped placement.
Oh so that's what everyone else is doing!

I use placement on occasion. I've also used draft move. I have also used the align tool. Each method has its own strengths and weakness and each seems to me to be important for certain tasks, however for the general everyday task of moving things about, the transform method seems to be the easiest, least fuss, easiest access tool (until recently) to put things generally where you want them in a graphical way and it is my tool of choice unless I specifically need something else to get the job done. :D
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

R23D wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 8:46 am Oh so that's what everyone else is doing!
I have no idea what everybody else is doing, but transform is useful for new users not yet acquainted/comfortable with placement. Please don't read things that aren't there. ;)
R23D

Post by R23D »

I have no idea what everybody else is doing
lol... join the club.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

I had the same problem with a previous version, I had to click OK several times to finish the operation
with the latest daily version, I no longer have this problem, but another: when I reopen a file and want to modify a sketch, either the dimensions become black and frozen, or the capture rectangle becomes black and the points of also snap and all action is blocked
I had already had it with a previous version about 1 month ago, and I read on the forum not to be the only one
without valid answers, only honorable correspondents who did not reproduce it
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

papyblaise wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 9:56 am when I reopen a file and want to modify a sketch, either the dimensions become black and frozen,
Wrong topic?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

R23D wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:20 pm After recently upgrading to the Freecad Version below, I find that double clicking a part in the combo view area no longer initiates the transform command but instead takes you to 'tasks'. I don't want it to do that. I want the old behaviour. I assume it's a preference setting but I'll be damned if I can find it. :?
OK, I have this tab open for quite a long time now :)
I just pushed a PR that introduced User Edit Mode.
There's a small video in the PR that probably better explains than words.
The basic concept is that user can choose an edition mode and objects, when double-clicked on the tree, will be editable in different ways (according their own possibilities).

There are eventually some more things possible :
* Better icons (ATM I shamelessly copied other ones as I'm totally zero at artwork)
* Should the mode be remembered when closing FreeCAD ? Or should the default mode when opening FreeCAD be a preference ?

EDIT : the modes are based on internal things that were already in FreeCAD core. I have no clue what the 'Cutting' mode is. :lol:
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Feature has been merged by Yorik just now. You should be able to test it with next 0.20 dev build. Feedbacks welcome.
I'll document this soon in the wiki too.
bitacovir wrote: Ping
Would you have some time to provide some decent icons ?
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

openBrain wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 9:46 am
There are eventually some more things possible :
* Better icons (ATM I shamelessly copied other ones as I'm totally zero at artwork)
* Should the mode be remembered when closing FreeCAD ? Or should the default mode when opening FreeCAD be a preference ?

EDIT : the modes are based on internal things that were already in FreeCAD core. I have no clue what the 'Cutting' mode is. :lol:
I think it should be remembered.

I don't know what cutting mode is, either. Perhaps it is related to Points workbench where you can cut the points cloud with a polygon. But it doesn't work there, so maybe not.
adrianinsaval
Veteran

Post by adrianinsaval »

TheMarkster wrote: I think it should be remembered.
+1
bitacovir
Veteran

Post by bitacovir »

openBrain wrote: Thu Sep 02, 2021 9:57 am Feature has been merged by Yorik just now. You should be able to test it with next 0.20 dev build. Feedbacks welcome.
I'll document this soon in the wiki too.
bitacovir wrote: Ping
Would you have some time to provide some decent icons ?
Can you open a request in the UIUX forum, please? I am a bit busy these months, so I am working slow but happy to help. Just write the info about what icons you need.
::bitacovir::
==================
One must be absolutely modern.
Arthur Rimbaud (A Season in Hell -1873)

Canal Youtube Grupo Telegram de FreeCAD Español

My personal web site
My GitHub repository
Mini Airflow Tunnel Project