Double clicking a part behaviour has changed...

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
R23D

Double clicking a part behaviour has changed...

Post by R23D »

After recently upgrading to the Freecad Version below, I find that double clicking a part in the combo view area no longer initiates the transform command but instead takes you to 'tasks'. I don't want it to do that. I want the old behaviour. I assume it's a preference setting but I'll be damned if I can find it. :?

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.24789 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 31b0f25b6df1d1707fdf74135093831eec4f0281
Python version: 3.8.8
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.1
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: Double clicking a part behaviour has changed...

Post by Roy_043 »

'Part' as in Std_Part?
R23D

Post by R23D »

'Part' as in component of a model as listed in the model window...
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

Behavior depends on which kind of objects you're double clicking on. And it has been like that for a pretty long time. :)
R23D

Post by R23D »

openBrain, I can't move a cube... It's never been like that... well, I mean, I can but I have to right-click it and choose 'transform'.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

R23D wrote: Sun May 02, 2021 8:37 pm openBrain, I can't move a cube... It's never been like that... well, I mean, I can but I have to right-click it and choose 'transform'.
Sweet Marcel, now we know you're talking of a cube...
R23D

Post by R23D »

I'm talking about all primitives and other objects that form the hierarchical treed structure of a model... You can no longer double click anything to get to 'transform'.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I miss the old feature too, but I have accepted that the new behaviour is much more consistent. This was changed for the Part primitives, and shows now what was missing before: Double opens a panel for the object specific parameters.
In the old days no editing dialog existed, and calling the transform tool was only a temprary solution.

You can, however, add the transform function to an icon in your own toolbar.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
R23D

Post by R23D »

OMG... you mean this is intentional and unchangeable? :shock: It might be more consistent but it's VERY inconvenient! :? Perhaps if this feature isn't coming back, a click of the third mouse wheel button or one of the more modern side mouse buttons could bring back the old behaviour on a new mouse button. It would be VERY easy to program that change. In the meantime, I will take your suggestion of creating a custom toolbar button because choosing it from the context menu just seems too cumbersome for something that is in CONSTANT use.
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

R23D wrote: Mon May 03, 2021 5:13 am OMG... you mean this is intentional and unchangeable? :shock: It might be more consistent but it's VERY inconvenient! :?
Actually it has some logics as FC is a parametric CAD software. Part positioning (assembly) should be done by constraining or using expressions in placement, theoretically not 'by rough hand'. ;)
I eventually will look at the code later to see if some switch is available to change that. But I don't think.

Perhaps if this feature isn't coming back, a click of the third mouse wheel button or one of the more modern side mouse buttons could bring back the old behaviour on a new mouse button.
Should be optional though. Let's see what part of the community is missing this. :)

It would be VERY easy to program that change.

So please do. The code is on Github.

In the meantime, I will take your suggestion of creating a custom toolbar button because choosing it from the context menu just seems too cumbersome for something that is in CONSTANT use.
More efficient, you can just assign a keyboard shortcut to the function. ;)