Newbie question- cannot see a line as I drag the mouse

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NickR

Newbie question- cannot see a line as I drag the mouse

Post by NickR »

Hi, new to FreeCAD and having a really basic problem (apart from the fact that my installation never behaves exactly as any video tutorial I've watched, but they tend to miss steps they think are obvious...)

In a sketch (either in Sketch workbench or in a sketch in Part Design), when I click to draw a line, I cannot see the line at all until I click the end point, when it will show in white with the two red endpoint dots.
When I watch videos, the white line and the endpoints are visible as the demonstrator is dragging or moving the mouse to the endpoint.
Why does my install not do this? Is it a setting somewhere> I would hope people making tutorials would use default settings or tell you what to change to make your install look like theirs when you are trying to follow along...

Any help on this really basic question is most welcome. I am no newbie to computers and applications but clearly a complete dunce when it comes to FreeCAD (sorry!).
Bance
Veteran

Re: Newbie question- cannot see a line as I drag the mouse

Post by Bance »

How can anyone know, quite what your problem is, if you don't follow the posting rules?
JussyAD

Post by JussyAD »

Attach a screenshot and we will take it from there. The file too.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

My guess is that you still use 0.18 and that the body where your sketch is in is invisible. For now make it visible, for the next time, upgrade to 0.19 or 0.20 and follow Bance's advice.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NickR

Post by NickR »

@Bance: Thanks for the help.

@JussyAD : difficult to post a screenshot as all you would see would be a mouse pointer, unless I can post a video (if I had software to capture screen video).
Simply, when I click and drag to create a line, no start point, line or endpoint shows until I click the endpoint, when the line then shows in white with red endpoints.

@chrisb : it is version 0.19 build 24276
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can try to reset the configuration with the button in the preferences. Another possibility is to delete your config files or to move them in case you want to restore them.
But I would rather guess that it is something with your graphics card/driver. Did you look at the Known OS specific issues?

I attach a sketch with nothing but a line. Can you see it when you double click on it?
Attachments
simpleSketch.FCStd
(3.33 KiB) Downloaded 7 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NickR

Post by NickR »

Thanks Chris. When I get to my computer I'll try.
I think my external monitor is on Nvidia Geforce which I dont see mentioned.
I'll check compatibility and also see if it's OK when I move to ghe built in display on my laptop using the integrated Intel graphics driver if possible.

Will revert when I have experimented.
Thanks again.
NickR

Post by NickR »

Hi Chrisb

Yes I can see the line on both my monitors. Actually, seeing a line once drawn was never an issue, it is seeing the line as it is being drawn that is the problem. Seems to work in every video tutorial I have watched...

BUT.. "Reset" button has fixed it!

Many thanks for the help!
Last edited by NickR on Thu May 06, 2021 12:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If you drag an existing line, does it vanish? I would then guess a hardware/driver issue.
NickR

Post by NickR »

All seems to work since Reset thanks.
Strange as it was a fresh install with nothing changed!

Many thanks for your help.