Reusing sketches (again)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
RandomPipeBender

Reusing sketches (again)

Post by RandomPipeBender »

Hi everyone,

I'd like to construct something out of steel tubing. I made a sketch and would now like to pad it to various length using the part design workbench (similar to this user: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=58333)

I scrolled through that post and was able to do it as suggested with a shape binder, a sub-object shape binder and the cloning tool from the draft workbench. I don't really understand the implications of using a shape binder over a sub-object shape binder and using the cloning tool from a different workbench also seems dubious.

I found a third way, simply padding the sketch when a new empty body is activated:

phpBB [video]

However the message

Code: Select all

PartDesign::Pad / Pad001: Links go out of the allowed scope
in the report view makes me question if this is a sane way of doing it.

So my questions are:
- What's the canonical way of doing this?
- What's the difference between using a shape binder and a sub-object shape binder
- Is the method shown in the video sane? a bad idea?

Thanks in advance!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Reusing sketches (again)

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!
RandomPipeBender wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 12:57 am - What's the canonical way of doing this?
Using a ShapeBinder
- What's the difference between using a shape binder and a sub-object shape binder
In this case it's the same. In general the SubShapeBinder has its own (non hidden) placement and can bind more than one object.
- Is the method shown in the video sane? a bad idea?
Sane: no; bad idea: yes. You must not directly reference things crossing the body border without a (Sub)ShapeBinder.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
RandomPipeBender

Re: Reusing sketches (again)

Post by RandomPipeBender »

Thanks. That was most helpful!