Struggling to convert OpenSCAD to STEP

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: Struggling to convert OpenSCAD to STEP

Post by Roy_043 »

It is an export issue. The V0.20 step is faulty. Attached the V0.19 step file for comparison.
Attachments
Mauroa-difference-0.19.step
(88.42 KiB) Downloaded 23 times
onekk
Veteran

Post by onekk »

As Keith has more knowledge of me, his advice is the right one.

From what I had seen some time ago I've seen that in early days you have to had OpenSCAD installed to manage OpenSCAD files so I've wrongly supposed that the solid creation was only the last passage, and following OpenCascade introductions that was recently published on the OpenCascade site the result was a "non parametric solid" so it is a Brep representation of the original OpenSCAD mesh.

Thank you for clarifications @keithsloan and others.

Regards

Carlo D.
GitHub page: https://github.com/onekk/freecad-doc.
- In deep articles on FreeCAD.
- Learning how to model with scripting.
- Various other stuffs.

Blog: https://okkmkblog.wordpress.com/
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

onekk wrote: Mon May 10, 2021 7:49 am As Keith has more knowledge of me, his advice is the right one.

From what I had seen some time ago I've seen that in early days you have to had OpenSCAD installed to manage OpenSCAD files so I've wrongly supposed that the solid creation was only the last passage, and following OpenCascade introductions that was recently published on the OpenCascade site the result was a "non parametric solid" so it is a Brep representation of the original OpenSCAD mesh.

Thank you for clarifications @keithsloan and others.

Regards

Carlo D.
The OpenSCAD executable is used to create a CSG from a SCAD source, the Workbench importer parses the CSG file and creates BREP shapes. It is only if there are hull, minkowski requests that these need to be converted to meshes/dxf and the OpenSCAD executable is called on to perform the hull, minkowski. The other circumstances where you get meshes is where a STL file is imported. This basically has been the situation since the workbench was introduced in FreeCAD 0.13. Recently @chennes has been sorting out some bugs with extrusions and rotated extrusions etc. He has also developed test cases so hopefully any regressions can be pick up
Roy_043
Veteran

Post by Roy_043 »

domad
Veteran

Post by domad »

Mauroa wrote: Wed May 05, 2021 1:03 pm Hello,
............. Any help would be appreciated. I just installed FreeCAD so I assume it is the latest version.
thanks
Mauro
....... I am attaching the files in * .cgs and * .FCStd format.
Attachments
Mauroa2.FCStd
(32.56 KiB) Downloaded 19 times
Mauroa.csg
(2.17 KiB) Downloaded 23 times