Problem extruding / padding existing STL

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PeterFinderup

Problem extruding / padding existing STL

Post by PeterFinderup »

Hi,

My son likes to play with BRIO trains and have just started to show interest in LEGO. Therefore, I went online and found a free STL which combined the two.

My son asked me to do a small correction on the STL. I have not used much time modifying STLs, but it was a minor change. With a few tutorials, I should be able to do it. Oh, boy was I wrong. I have spent around 15 hours trying to understand freeCAD with the help of tutorials from youtube, and I have still not succeeded.

So - here I am hoping one of you can point me in the right direction.

My problem is two-fold.

1) I like to add 1 extra row of buttons in each end. I will just extend the layout, while keeping the length. It should be possible by decreasing the length of the magnet holder.

2) The magnet holder is too small for my magnets, so I need to increase the inside diameter to 13mm in each end.

What have I done:

Imported STL -> mesh -> refined -> solid. I have tried to extrude/pad, but didn't work out as I hoped.
I have tried to create my own sketches from scratch but the constrains always explode after 1 hour of drawing.

If any of you had to do these modifications - which workbench would you use? (I have only used parts, partdesign and sketches).
Which tools would you use? Maybe I missed the obvious?
Do you have a link for a youtube / tutorial that could give me the insight I need? Maybe just the buzzword so I can continue my search.

I have linked the STL and a picture of the changes for better understanding.

Any input is welcome!

/Peter
Attachments
Untitled.png
Untitled.png (32.23 KiB) Viewed 313 times
Lego_Train.stl
(480.16 KiB) Downloaded 15 times
kwahoo

Re: Problem extruding / padding existing STL

Post by kwahoo »

If I understood correctly, you need something like this:

phpBB [video]

As you can see editing a solid created from mesh is bit expensive. It's better to recreate that shape from scratch if this is more than a single time job.
In the video I used LinkStage3 FreeCAD branch, but that should work very similar in the vanilla FreeCAD.
PeterFinderup wrote: Sat May 08, 2021 6:50 am I have tried to create my own sketches from scratch but the constrains always explode after 1 hour of drawing.
Sketches should be as simple as possible. Use Part Design patterns, mirrors etc. where is possible.
heda
Veteran

Re: Problem extruding / padding existing STL

Post by heda »

as pointed out, if doing larger modifications, remodelling is likely to be the best choice.
here is a file with the original piece remodelled, should make it easy enough to modify to get to your final goal.
stlremod.png
stlremod.png (9.58 KiB) Viewed 248 times
it is done using "mesh remodel" add-on wb, it is one of the many ways to be able to pick up geometry from the stl.

I have just recreated some of the basic geometry like circles, positions etc, either through 3 point circles or sections,
then those are either used directly or converted to sketches, that when needed is tuned a bit to make them usable for extrusions.
used wb's are: mesh remodel / draft / sketcher / part
Attachments
remodlego.FCStd
(269.82 KiB) Downloaded 12 times