Have an Openscad to Freecad conundrum to solve [solved]

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
keithsloan52
Veteran

Re: Have an Openscad to Freecad conundrum to solve [solved]

Post by keithsloan52 »

It takes FC probably one minute or more to open the scad files
Might be worth trying Lei Zheng's : realthunder's Daily version of FreeCAD https://github.com/realthunder/FreeCAD_ ... 3/releases

With it I am able to import GDML files in seconds that were taking minutes to open with FreeCAD 0.19.1
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

I guess this epilogue might be worth your time. The step export in occ 7.2.0 does not really resolve all the issues. Some awkward geometry is still generated but the problem is substantially less severe.

Coincident planes and surfaces in geometry used in boolean constructs in your model may trigger the issue.

I had to bypass another issue by offsetting a plane by 0.01 mm and avoid coincident planes.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Post by keithsloan52 »

Yuri wrote: Sun Jun 06, 2021 12:11 am I guess this epilogue might be worth your time. The step export in occ 7.2.0 does not really resolve all the issues. Some awkward geometry is still generated but the problem is substantially less severe.

Coincident planes and surfaces in geometry used in boolean constructs in your model may trigger the issue.

I had to bypass another issue by offsetting a plane by 0.01 mm and avoid coincident planes.
Okay there are regressions in OCC 7.5, but 7.2 and FreeCAD 0.18 are ancient history, you should be trying 7.4 at least
chennes
Veteran

Post by chennes »

I wouldn’t really expect OCCT 7.5.2 to fix anything but the basic STEP export issue. I’m sure there are still bugs in the OpenSCAD handling: some of that code is brand new and relatively untested. The difficulty here is that we are trying to ferret out several marginally interrelated bugs. For example, the incorrect show/hide behavior is itself basically a single bug, that is more or less unrelated to failed CAD operations. In a bug report like this it is hard to isolate where one bug ends and another begins.
Chris Hennes
Pioneer Library System
GitHub profile, LinkedIn profile, chrishennes.com
Yuri

Post by Yuri »

I see the good use of the policy of not looking back into previous versions, however, one could be cornered into using a previous version, like myself and those who may want to export step files using an OCC different than 7.5.0 and 7.5.1 (which we know is present in FC latest 0.19 for windows posted in FC website) or again like myself wishing to execute boolean operations on extruded dxf. The fact that I'm using FC 0.184 is an outgrow of 2 legitimate issues regarding the newer version so that indirectly this thread is more related to the latest FC.

I see the point of chennes too. Aside from the issue of the show/hide (which is a fire that can be put out by not using it) the issues that appear in boolean operations from the new importCSG (which appear unrelated to the show hide) represent a set back with respect to something that is correctly resolved by the previous importCSG. It may be worth resolving the issue albeit the complexity of the marginally related issues.

Myself, I just try hard to avoid WYSWYG but I see the current limitations of 3D modeling by code and my own. Openscad and FC Openscad workbench are providing a great platform to assist me despite the problems which I would have had with any 3d software out there. I worked very hard to develop a few parts but I'm grateful to have had the opportunity to control the details of this project. Thank you again.

I feel stupid trying to donate to you. Why do I need an account on a stupid platform to donate or why do I have to donate in periods. I just want to do it once and forget about it.