Datum and Multitransform

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
ChemicalCoal

Re: Datum and Multitransform

Post by ChemicalCoal »

Bance wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:08 pm Unfortunately without the actual model, it's very difficult to know exactly what has happened here.
I figured out how to attach the file, if you edit datumLine001 you will see it's attached to the body from MultiTransform. If you edit the MultiTransform and add a polar pattern, it won't let you select datumLine001.
Test0.FCStd
(42.51 KiB) Downloaded 9 times

Also interestingly, using the move object after other object, I was able to move any type of reference geometry before the object that they reference, including a sketch.
Test0 (1).FCStd
(45.44 KiB) Downloaded 11 times
chrisb wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:51 pm The tree is not showing all dependencies.
I see, this is not intuitive, I assumed that if a pad dependent on MultiTransform can't be moved before the MultiTransform, then a datum Dependent on MultiTransform shouldn't be able to be moved before it either.

The dependency viewer shows the correct dependencies. I personally can't see any time that moving things in the tree out of alignment with their dependencies would be useful, but this is all good to know.

@Bance @chrisb thanks for the help.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

DatumGeometry and ShapeBinders can be placed at arbitrary positions in the tree. This is indeed sometimes not intuitive. To keep the overview in such cases, I rearrange the tree manually.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

A more correct method of altering the sequence, would be to set tip to the previous feature then insert.

So for your model, you begin the multi-transform, realise you need a datum-line.

Exit the tool, select the previous feature(pocket) RMB menu 'Set tip'.

Now the multi-transform is not available for selection, the datum-line can be inserted and attached to (only) previously made geometry.

Reset tip to the last feature (Multi-transform) and continue modelling.

This method is useful if you need to add a feature that has been created after the transform.
ChemicalCoal wrote: Thu May 13, 2021 8:55 pm Also interestingly, using the move object after other object, I was able to move any type of reference geometry before the object that they reference, including a sketch.
This is probably a bug, it should not be possible to do this without at least a warning.