Designing an arch using the arch workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Erich96

Designing an arch using the arch workbench

Post by Erich96 »

Dear All,
I need to design an arch into an apartment. It is quite difficult to search the forum for an arch, since the search engine confuses it with the arch workbench. I attache the screenshot of what I would want to obtain. I tried to construct a part, but I need to convert this into a wall. But how ?

I also would need a different arch, kind of pillar in the form of T. The T should be the support of the ceiling. Again the start I think is at the part workbench constructing a rectangular building block. Again I do knot succeed in transforming it into a wall.

I am convinced somebody else already did a similar thing and maybe posted the same question, but I am searching already a lot of time, ... as said before searching for arch is very cumbersome for the huge amount of architectural questions ....

Thank you very much
yours,
Erich
Attachments
screenshotARC.jpg
screenshotARC.jpg (21.98 KiB) Viewed 2266 times
ABeton

Re: Designing an arch using the arch workbench

Post by ABeton »

You can draw a wall, and than a sketch on that wall in the form of an arch. Than make a slab out of that sketch and use the minus(-) command to remove the slab shape from the wall, and you get an arch. For the T pilar, just draw a T shaped sketch and than use the slab command in Arch to get the pilar.
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

Erich96 wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 9:18 pm I need to design an arch into an apartment. It is quite difficult to search the forum for an arch, since the search engine confuses it with the arch workbench. I attache the screenshot of what I would want to obtain. I tried to construct a part, but I need to convert this into a wall. But how ?
An Arch WB wall can be created in different ways, one of which is by taking a solid as input. With on irregular shape like you are talking about perhaps you would be best to model the solid then convert that to a wall. So create the solid then select it in the treeview and click on the Arch WB Wall icon in the tool bar.
Screenshot_20210512_080553.png
Screenshot_20210512_080553.png (85.23 KiB) Viewed 2238 times
Another method would be to create a simple rectangular wall and then use Arch Window to create the hole/door way of the Arch assuming that you want to create a wall shaped like I have with a rectangular exterior and an arched cavity.

Firstly though, from your screen shot, your sketch is not valid. You have all those extra lines that 1) you don't need and 2) if you did need them they must be set to construction mode so that they do not show up in the sketch when not in edit mode. The sketch must contain geometry that can describe a single contiguous face.
Screenshot_20210512_080732.png
Screenshot_20210512_080732.png (100.44 KiB) Viewed 2238 times
Here is a demo file of the first option, creating the wall from a solid as input.
wall_from_solid_arch_in_Archwb.FCStd
(12.91 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
Obviously the scale of my solid would be for a doll house/model, but the principle is the same.

I have to run right now...

Jim

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.stable PPA
Build type: Release
Branch: unknown
Hash: 9e3b630bbfb6807e93eeffb655e6c20f218644fc
Python version: 3.8.5
Qt version: 5.12.8
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.1
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
Erich96

Post by Erich96 »

Thank you very much, I will try it right now. exactly that was what I needed,
A big thank you !!!
jmaustpc
Veteran

Post by jmaustpc »

jmaustpc wrote: Tue May 11, 2021 10:20 pm Another method would be to create a simple rectangular wall and then use Arch Window to create the hole/door way of the Arch assuming that you want to create a wall shaped like I have with a rectangular exterior and an arched cavity.
This is a simplistic example of using a Arch window defined by a sketch that was attached to the face of thew wall.

1)first create a sketch with a rectangle
2) select that sketch and click on Arch wall
3) select a face of that wall and create a new sketch which will attach to that wall
4) create the edge of the desired arched cavity in that wall
5)select that second sketch and click on Arch Window

Attaching things to faces makes the model less robust and more susceptible to the topological naming limitation.
Screenshot_20210512_112523.png
Screenshot_20210512_112523.png (84.36 KiB) Viewed 2186 times
here is that demo file
wall_with_arch_window_in_Archwb.FCStd
(17.48 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

here is a nice Romanesque arch
Attachments
Roman arch.PNG
Roman arch.PNG (26.97 KiB) Viewed 2150 times
Roman arch.FCStd
(346.11 KiB) Downloaded 24 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

papyblaise wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:41 am here is a nice Romanesque arch
Nice idea. Here it is even a bit more romanesque:
SnipScreenshot-44b768.png
SnipScreenshot-44b768.png (25.54 KiB) Viewed 2125 times
Attachments
Roman_cb.FCStd
(266.64 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Erich96

Post by Erich96 »

I am playing with this already lot of time. I arrived at the point I can produce a wall with the hole in form of an arch.
I created an rectangle, switched to Part Design and created a 3D object with pad a selected sketch. After I selected the surface on the 3D object I wanted to create the hole on, and with "create a pocket" i created in some way the desired arch. That's pretty OK now.
Now I wanted to insert this arch in my appartment. But how ?
I could do the same thing in the appartment, create a new sketch, design an rectangle to host the arch, create on the rectangle the design of the hole ... but when I try to create a pocket, I get an error message which says I must have an active body ... no idea what is going wrong ...
Seemed easy, but it is going to be rather complicated ....
thx for any help
Yours,
Erich
ABeton

Post by ABeton »

chrisb wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 9:24 am
papyblaise wrote: Wed May 12, 2021 7:41 am here is a nice Romanesque arch
Nice idea. Here it is even a bit more romanesque:SnipScreenshot-44b768.png
This one is really cool. Looks like the arches Romans did in the past :) I could imagine an aquaduct built with those arches :lol:
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

Erich96 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:11 pm
in my opinion, part gets along better with arch than partdesign. yorik the programmer from arch doesn't use partdesign either.
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad