Designing an arch using the arch workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Designing an arch using the arch workbench

Post by chrisb »

Erich96 wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 3:11 pm I could do the same thing in the appartment, create a new sketch, design an rectangle to host the arch, create on the rectangle the design of the hole ... but when I try to create a pocket, I get an error message which says I must have an active body ... no idea what is going wrong ...
The PartDesign features need a body to live in. You can use PartDesign to work on an object created outside of PartDesign by using it as a BaseFeature, but I am not familiar enough with the Arch workbench and its workflow to recommend this.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Erich96

Post by Erich96 »

Thank all you very much for your help on this. The roman archs are phantastique, really great stuff.
What I did now was the approach with the window, I design my arch on the wall, putting it on a sketch anchored at the wall, after that I can make disappear completely the door or make it transparent. Only disadvantage, the door is not a hole, as it happens under the arche. I do not know if I explain myself well.

The other solution is hard for me to integrate, since it requires a body. I created successfully a solid with exact the arch I would have, but I do not succeed in putting this in my slab.

My last question: how can I use pieces from other documents in a project ? Example: I have base.FCStd which holds all walls, and arch.FCStd which holds my arch. How can I use pieces from arch.FCStd in base.FCStd ? Simply copy&paste ? Just putting together:
in the arch tutorial I read: "Any solid object can always become any architectural object. Very complex things, usually hard to define in other BIM applications, like a floor slab curving up and becoming a wall (yes Zaha Hadid, it's you we're talking about), present no particular problem at all in FreeCAD."
So how can I convert the solid object "arch" I created in a wall and insert it into my plan ?

thx again for any help on this
Yours,
Erich
Erich96

Post by Erich96 »

as Thomas wrote before:
in my opinion, part gets along better with arch than partdesign. yorik the programmer from arch doesn't use partdesign either.
I am reading the wonderful tutorial about scripting with Python including the Part Workbench https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Part_Module, now I understand much better what Thomas means.
I can design everything I need with the part workbench. Once I have a solid I can use this as wall. I even created a wall from a bottle. The arch example can be done more easier with python scripting than with the GUI.
Now I am playing around with python which gives simply phantastic possibilities with no limits ... great stuff, really.