install 'tosketch'

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kaizmoto1489

install 'tosketch'

Post by kaizmoto1489 »

Hi,
In my previous FreeCAD I had installed 'tosketch' from a private repo.
When I updated to 0.19-24267, it was still installed, but no longer appeared in Tools|AddonManager.
Clicking configure did not show the repo location.
After re-entering it, the workbench showed up in the list as installed.
Does anyone know why?
jmaustpc
Veteran

Re: install 'tosketch'

Post by jmaustpc »

kaizmoto1489 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:29 am In my previous FreeCAD I had installed 'tosketch' from a private repo.
there are two ways to install an addon like toSketch, one is via the addon manager another is to simply install the files in a sub directory of your "freecad/mod" directory. Originally the add on manager could only install things from the specific repository being able to add a custom one is a newer feature.

When toSketch first came out it's install instructions were how to do it manually using Git to pull in the code to the correct directory thus allowing an easy way to keep it updated with a simple "git pull" in the correct directory. At that time addon manager did not know anything about toSketch whether or not it was installed. Personally since I was involved with it in a limited manner from the very early days, I had installed it manually with a "git clone" of the repo and kept it up to date with "git pull". I don't know if things have changed or not, but at first it was not in the addons manager as Keith was using it to test some experimental features, some of which could conceivably end up in master. I don't think he thought it would be a permanent add on, more a place to experiment, I think.

If you look in you freecad/mod directory you should see a directory named "toSketch", if you delete that direcotry then you remove toSketch. FreeCAD searches that "mod" directory when it is started and hence finds any add on directories/workbenches/etc.

If you don't know where it was installed, then search your system in your file manager for "toSketch" note the "S" is a capital letter.
keithsloan52
Veteran

Re: install 'tosketch'

Post by keithsloan52 »

kaizmoto1489 wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:29 am Hi,
In my previous FreeCAD I had installed 'tosketch' from a private repo.
When I updated to 0.19-24267, it was still installed, but no longer appeared in Tools|AddonManager.
Clicking configure did not show the repo location.
After re-entering it, the workbench showed up in the list as installed.
Does anyone know why?
It you look at the install instructions in the README of the github repro you will see that it is a manual install via the Addon Manager.
Ideally it should have an entry in FreeCAD extensions but it has to-date not been added.