How to scale a stl file that I imported

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
joonryu

How to scale a stl file that I imported

Post by joonryu »

Hello, I am very new to freeCAD and I am trying to learn this software. While doing a 3d print project, I was planning to import an already existing 3d stl file and edit(scale) it so that I could use it in my project. I looked up how to scale a 3d object and found out that I had to clone an object in draftWB and scale it. However, my freeCAD doesnt seem to have the clone tool in draftWB. My version is 0.19 and I'm pretty sure I didn't touch any of the settings to make the tool disappear.Image

From the instructions and videos I watch, there was a blue sheep icon for the clone tool, but mine doesnt have it.
I might be missing out something really simple since I am new to this. So I would be glad if someone could point it out for me. Thanks.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Re: How to scale a stl file that I imported

Post by thomas-neemann »

joonryu wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:42 pm
is that helpful?

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Mesh_Scale
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
joonryu

Post by joonryu »

Thank you. It seems helpful. But I have one more question.
Is there any way I can directly scale a 3d body? I also have some step files I got from the web, and I think it would be easier to edit it as a solid.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

joonryu wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 1:49 pm Thank you. It seems helpful. But I have one more question.
Is there any way I can directly scale a 3d body? I also have some step files I got from the web, and I think it would be easier to edit it as a solid.
here is an example

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GpM3AMPXpDY

phpBB [video]
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

joonryu wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:42 pm but mine doesnt have it.
It's in the Modification toolbar(royal blue.)Use it from the pull down menu or expand the toolbar by clicking the arrows on the right hand side.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

joonryu wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:42 pm From the instructions and videos I watch, there was a blue sheep icon for the clone tool, but mine doesnt have it.
I'm quite sure that you have it. It is probably just hidden (edit: as Bance pointed out).
Attachments
Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-14 um 16.14.44.png
Bildschirmfoto 2021-05-14 um 16.14.44.png (188.08 KiB) Viewed 4463 times
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
joonryu

Post by joonryu »

t's in the Modification toolbar(royal blue.)Use it from the pull down menu or expand the toolbar by clicking the arrows on the right hand side.

I searched for all the tools that I could possibly find, but failed to find the draft clone tool.

My version is 0.19 and I downloaded it less than a week ago from freecadweb.org. Were there any changes for this feature in the latest updates?
Attachments
새 비트맵 이미지.png
새 비트맵 이미지.png (46.82 KiB) Viewed 4459 times
joonryu

Post by joonryu »

chrisb wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 2:16 pm
joonryu wrote: Fri May 14, 2021 12:42 pm From the instructions and videos I watch, there was a blue sheep icon for the clone tool, but mine doesnt have it.
I'm quite sure that you have it. It is probably just hidden (edit: as Bance pointed out).
Just to make things clear. Am I look at the right place? I am in draftWB.
Attachments
새 비트맵 이미지.png
새 비트맵 이미지.png (46.82 KiB) Viewed 4425 times
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

By the image you do appear to be missing some menu items. Please submit your full FreeCAD information from Help -> About menu using the copy to clipboard button. It might also help to upload your model so others can open it and have a look. You can attach files by drag/drop onto the text area where you type in your posts.

There is another mesh scale option in the OpenSCAD workbench (requires installation of openSCAD binary) that allows scaling independently along the 3 axes. This only works with mesh objects (imported as stl, for example). I don't believe draft clone will work with mesh objects.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You seem to have messed up your toolbars. You can try to reset the configuration with the button in the preferences. Another possibility is to delete your config files or to move them in case you want to restore them.

Please attach your full FreeCAD info as described in the IMPORTANT forum rules linked above.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.