Freecad completely invisible after tiling on Mint

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
daij

Freecad completely invisible after tiling on Mint

Post by daij »

Greetings. I appreciate that this may be a Linux Mint problem rather than a FreeCAD problem, but I'll ask it here just in case someone else has run into this. I am new to FreeCAD.

I am running Linux Mint 19 Cinnamon. I just downloaded FreeCAD .19 (app image). I was about to start reading some tutorials on FC, so I wanted to tile my browser on the left and FC on the right of the screen. After dragging FC to the right screen margin, it disappeared entirely, and nothing I have tried seems to make it reappear. It's running (appears in the taskbar). I have disabled tiling, logged out and logged back on. I have checked that FC is not appearing in a different workspace/desktop on Mint. In the taskbar icon for FC I have tried all the window options - maximize, show in every workspace, blah blah.

If I log into a different user account on the same machine and fire up FC, it works fine, i.e. I FC appears and I can work in it.

This is weird. I can get along by using the other account, but how the heck do I get FC to reappear?
heda
Veteran

Re: Freecad completely invisible after tiling on Mint

Post by heda »

maybe wipe your user folder?
"/home/you/.FreeCAD"
mendy

Post by mendy »

Hello
You did not say if you have a second monitor, possibly off. If so turn it on, maybe Freecad is in second monitor.
On my system monitor is TV and have it set to mirror to watch videos on TV.
Quick try
Alt Tab to FreeCad
Hit Alt Spacebar
Hit letter m on keyboard
Drag mouse to left
(Note: just tried and works. Right Click on icon in taskbar closes but it opens off my screen and have to do above procedure.)
Maybe???
daij

Post by daij »

mendy wrote: Sat May 15, 2021 11:14 pm Hello
You did not say if you have a second monitor, possibly off. If so turn it on, maybe Freecad is in second monitor.
On my system monitor is TV and have it set to mirror to watch videos on TV.
Quick try
Alt Tab to FreeCad
Hit Alt Spacebar
Hit letter m on keyboard
Drag mouse to left
(Note: just tried and works. Right Click on icon in taskbar closes but it opens off my screen and have to do above procedure.)
Maybe???
OMG You are a lifesaver. That totally worked :D