How to fix "migrate from legacy"

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rrrroonn

How to fix "migrate from legacy"

Post by rrrroonn »

migrate.jpg
migrate.jpg (112.94 KiB) Viewed 1165 times
I frequently get this error popping up. The document was not created in a prior version. Any suggestions about how to fix this?

What additional info should I provide if it happens again (if any)?

thank you

Ron

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24276 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: a88db11e0a908f6e38f92bfc5187b13ebe470438
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.1
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
chrisb
Veteran

Re: How to fix "migrate from legacy"

Post by chrisb »

This happens, if a PartDesign feature occurs not inside of a body. I can't see such thing in your model. Can you upload it?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
rrrroonn

Post by rrrroonn »

If I get it again, I will save a copy and upload. Thank you.
rrrroonn

Post by rrrroonn »

It happened again.

The file is too large for the forum so I put it on my google drive here:

https://drive.google.com/drive/folders/ ... sp=sharing

I had just deleted some steps out of the model due to design changes, made the "Hotend-rocker001 active, and started to create a new sketch. At that stage I selected "Migrate manually" and saved the file. When I started a sketch again and hit "Yes" to migrate, I get error "Object can only be in a single GeoFeature group". It created a new body called "AdditivePipeBody" with just an origin.
migrate1.jpg
migrate1.jpg (62.13 KiB) Viewed 1032 times
Hopefully this is helpful in diagnosing the problem.

thank you,

Ron
rrrroonn

Post by rrrroonn »

It seems that the file is now corrupt, because sketching seems to be broken. When I try to sketch a polyline in Sketch093, a red message "Solving sketch failed, Internal name Sketch093" comes up. Removing all constraints and reapplying seems to allow me to progress.

I have uploaded the file.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/18jSW7g ... sp=sharing

thank you,

Ron
rrrroonn

Post by rrrroonn »

No I cannot continue - every sketch I now do has issues. I really hope that you are able to diagnose this as I have put days of work into this model.

thank you in advance,

Ron
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You have created illegal references from sketches tool_path and tool_circle in Hotend-rocker to Hotend_mount_cutout. That could be the reason for the message.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

My first guess was better: The additive pipe and the revolution are features without body. The attached file was derived from your file:
Snip macro screenshot-0069ed.png
Snip macro screenshot-0069ed.png (48.07 KiB) Viewed 964 times
Even without this, your file was a pretty mess where I had difficulties to find my way through all the references going to and fro. A clear concept may help you to keep the overview.
Attachments
migrate.FCStd
(15.92 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
rrrroonn

Post by rrrroonn »

chrisb wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:06 pm You have created illegal references from sketches tool_path and tool_circle in Hotend-rocker to Hotend_mount_cutout. That could be the reason for the message.
Hi Chris,

Forgive my ignorance, I am not a long time CAD user and have only begun to use FreeCAD ...

How do I create illegal references? I want to avoid doing it again, obviously.

thanks

Ron
rrrroonn

Post by rrrroonn »

chrisb wrote: Mon May 17, 2021 11:35 pm My first guess was better: The additive pipe and the revolution are features without body. The attached file was derived from your file:
Snip macro screenshot-0069ed.png
Even without this, your file was a pretty mess where I had difficulties to find my way through all the references going to and fro. A clear concept may help you to keep the overview.
Its probably messy because I am far from proficient with how things work in FreeCad. I guess I originally thought that something like a revolution or a pipe created a body but that was just my ignorance. I sort of assumed that the program wouldn't let me do something "illegal" or "wrong".

Sorry, but how do I fix this without starting from scratch? Using the file you provided, I have tried various ways to add these things to a body, but have not been successful. Your advice is REALLY appreciated.

thank you,

Ron