Spaceball recognition problem

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
nbonniot

Spaceball recognition problem

Post by nbonniot »

Hello everyone,

I got a SpacePilot Pro, used to be used on Autodesk Inventor on WIndows. Now I'm on Linux Mint (Ubuntu fork) and I would love to be able to use it with Freecad.

Below is what I did :
  • At first glance I chose to install the proprietary driver from 3DConnexion and it worked flawlessly. Using provided test binaries, I gto the mouse recognized and working
  • I realized then Freecad supported spacenavd driver. So I followed the Ubuntu part of https://wiki.freecadweb.org/3Dconnexion_input_devices which is very simple (APT package installation only)
No matter what I do, Customize toolbox spaceball tabs are desperatly empty. I found here and there things mentioned X11 configuration, or /etc/spnavrc configuration file but nothing is mentioned in FreeCAD documentation (or I missed it).

So what should I do to make FreeCAD recognize my mouse? Should I start the proprietary driver along with the open-source one (it's unclear around this point) ?

Any enlightments will be deeply appreciated.

Cheers,

Nicolas
M4x
Veteran

Re: Spaceball recognition problem

Post by M4x »

Did you check if the system is working fine with your mouse? There are some examples for the spacenavd driver to test it. So first you've to make sure that it's working with your current setup in general.