Error: Zero is not a valid datum for the constraint with index 1

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
rafz

Error: Zero is not a valid datum for the constraint with index 1

Post by rafz »

Hello
I just installed FreeCAD and faced a terrible problem (or maybe a bug!). In the sketch section I draw a circle. And then clicked on constraint to set the diameter. But any number I enter, this error message comes up: Zero is not a valid datum for the constraint with index 1

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24276 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: a88db11e0a908f6e38f92bfc5187b13ebe470438
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.1
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: Persian/Iran (fa_IR)

Could you please help me with that? Thanks!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Error: Zero is not a valid datum for the constraint with index 1

Post by chrisb »

Working through the PartDesign Tutorials is a good start. And I really mean working, not just looking!
And besides, you hopefully find answers on how to constrain in one of the documents in my signature.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
rafz

Post by rafz »

chrisb wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 9:02 pm Working through the PartDesign Tutorials is a good start. And I really mean working, not just looking!
And besides, you hopefully find answers on how to constrain in one of the documents in my signature.
Thanks for your answer, but I followed everything step by step based on YouTube tutorials. I can't constrain any length… Once I draw a line and then click on constrain, it shows the length as zero! And when I change it to another number, above error comes up.
Annotation 2021-05-23 021030.png
Annotation 2021-05-23 021030.png (183.81 KiB) Viewed 1670 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

It looks as if you use a fancy character set and locale. Can you switch to Latin characters and English locale?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
rafz

Post by rafz »

chrisb wrote: Sat May 22, 2021 10:10 pm It looks as if you use a fancy character set and locale. Can you switch to Latin characters and English locale?
Thanks a lot, it worked! But I had to change the windows settings of language section. So whole numbers in windows changed from Persian to English. Could I edit the character settings within FreeCAD preferences to avoid changing windows settings?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I faintly remember something similar with an arabic character set, but I haven't bookmarked the topic. Perhaps someone else did? Otherwise you have to search the forum. Hint you can try different search engines, they usually deliver different results.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Here is the (5 years old) post I was talking about: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14035 .
There was another similar post two weeks ago. If you find a solution you may post it there too or better link it to this topic.
rafz

Post by rafz »

chrisb wrote: Sun May 23, 2021 8:54 am Here is the (5 years old) post I was talking about: https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=3&t=14035 .
There was another similar post two weeks ago. If you find a solution you may post it there too or better link it to this topic.
I answered him the solution and linked this topic there as well. Anyway, don't you think it's a bug?! Because I've used Catia, Ansys and many other software programs with previous windows settings without any problem... Can we direct it to developers in order to solve it and prevent happening this problem in non-English locale computers?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I am quite sure that this bug is outside of the scope of FreeCAD and comes rather from Qt, but it needs someone with more insight to answer this.