How to delete detail of this step file

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
run_the_race

How to delete detail of this step file

Post by run_the_race »

So the official raspberry pi step file is 65Mbs. Someone simplified it to a 6.5MB file, which you can get here:
https://github.com/aep/kicad/raw/master ... m-min.step

I am trying to further simplify it as my computer struggles with it when used in another project. I think it is because of all the little round balls under the "BROADCOM_BCM2711" and the `SAMSUNG_KLM4G1YE4C-B00X` items in the tree, like this:
1_balls.png
1_balls.png (127.75 KiB) Viewed 990 times
I have tried two methods and neither is successful:
1. Create a box in the `Part` workbench, position it with the Draft move (with snap enabled). Then perform a boolean cut:
2_cube.png
2_cube.png (87.23 KiB) Viewed 990 times
It creates a `cut` object. I then delete the original item (because I am trying to reduce the filesize/complexity), but then everything breaks. I try to export it as a step file and then FreeCAD closes.

2. I found an icon that "Explode Compound". This seemed perfect in that I could then select the "BROADCOM_BCM2711", explode it, then try delete the sub parts which are the balls. However "Explode Compound" once again makes a ouput that is dependent on the original. I just don't seem to be able to delete something so it can be simple without creating a more complex version.

What is the correct work flow to trim a step file?

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24276 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: a88db11e0a908f6e38f92bfc5187b13ebe470438
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.1
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United Kingdom (en_GB)
drmacro
Veteran

Re: How to delete detail of this step file

Post by drmacro »

Just select the things in the tree you want to delete and hit the delete key.

🤔
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
run_the_race

Post by run_the_race »

drmacro wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:38 pm Just select the things in the tree you want to delete and hit the delete key.
I would like to keep the chips, because they are required for heatsink design, I only want to delete the little balls, that are part of the compound chip object, each ball is not individually listed in the tree.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Expand the subfolder. Are the balls separate objects? Then select them and delete.

Otherwise, maybe draw a plane and use slice apart then delete the one of the resulting slices?

Sorry, the STEP file I have of a Pi doesn't use have the BGA, so I can't try it.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
UR_
Veteran

Post by UR_ »

Applv an appropriate view for selecting all balls, using menu Edit->

Screenshot 003.png
Screenshot 003.png (7.5 KiB) Viewed 928 times

Forward selection to PartWB->Defeaturing

Screenshot 002.png
Screenshot 002.png (6.82 KiB) Viewed 928 times

Be warned: Heavy cpu torture will follow!
Chris_G
Veteran

Post by Chris_G »

run_the_race wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 12:32 pm It creates a `cut` object. I then delete the original item (because I am trying to reduce the filesize/complexity), but then everything breaks. I try to export it as a step file and then FreeCAD closes.
Part Boolean Operations are parametric objects. If you delete one of its source objects, it will break.
You must create a simple copy of the cut object (Part menu -> create a copy -> create simple copy)
Then you can delete the Cut, Box and BROADCOM_BCM2711 objects.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

I have removed BGA's and replaced them with simple extrusions...the resulting FC file is still just under the size limit for the forum. :o
Snip macro screenshot-8a4ff6.png
Snip macro screenshot-8a4ff6.png (95.74 KiB) Viewed 875 times
Attachments
RPi_detailed_reduced.FCStd
(842.32 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
run_the_race

Post by run_the_race »

UR_ wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 2:00 pm Applv an appropriate view for selecting all balls, using menu Edit->

Forward selection to PartWB->Defeaturing

Be warned: Heavy cpu torture will follow!
Thank you for this, I was very hopeful, It sounds like the right workflow... CPU torture indeed! CPU at 100% for hours, eventually left it over night, in the morning FreeCAD had crashed :( Did it work for you?
Seems unproportional the amount of CPU power required to delete some features.
run_the_race

Post by run_the_race »

drmacro wrote: Wed Jun 02, 2021 6:27 pm I have removed BGA's and replaced them with simple extrusions...the resulting FC file is still just under the size limit for the forum. :o
Wow thank you so much! Well done! :D How did you do it? It looks like you drew a box and made a union over the balls? Then somehow simplified the resultant object to get rid of the ball references?
easyw-fc
Veteran

Post by easyw-fc »

simply do a common with a box
cm-min-model.FCStd
(534.03 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Attachments
cm-min.png
cm-min.png (262.97 KiB) Viewed 805 times