Manually draw lines on a drawing (TechDraw add-on)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
NachoZurbano

Manually draw lines on a drawing (TechDraw add-on)

Post by NachoZurbano »

Hello!

I am doing a manufacturing 2D drawing of a 3D body. I managed to place and annotate the desired views. However, I didn't find a way to manually draw on the drawing page. I need this to mark some threaded parts according to ISO norms. I managed to add a leader line but this is rather impractical because you cannot easily set the dimensions. I have also seen that there is the Cosmetic line functionality, but I think this requires to have vertices.

I don't know if this is pertinent, but in Autodesk Inventor there is an option which allows you to add a sketch directly on top of the frame of the view. You can also project the 2D drawing into the sketch. Is there any similar functionality on FreeCad? How can I manually draw on top of a drawing page?

Thank you very much in advance. :)
Attachments
Tube-Drawing.svg
SVG of the drawing
(122.99 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Tube.FCStd
Freecad file
(471.29 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
papyblaise
Veteran

Re: Manually draw lines on a drawing (TechDraw add-on)

Post by papyblaise »

there is currently no solution to simbolize the threads (to my knowledge) according to ISO
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

You can't draw directly on a TechDraw page. You can, however, draw a sketch with all the power of using external geometry etc. and add that to the TechDraw view.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
NachoZurbano

Post by NachoZurbano »

@chrisb, thanks so much!

Would you mind giving some more details? Do I have to create a new view while selecting the sketch? If I do so, the view of the sketch will block the view of the piece... Is there any other option I'm not aware of?

Thank you :D

chrisb wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:12 pm You can't draw directly on a TechDraw page. You can, however, draw a sketch with all the power of using external geometry etc. and add that to the TechDraw view.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

NachoZurbano wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 4:46 pm Would you mind giving some more details?
1) You add your sketch to the model so that it occurs in 3D view where you want to have it.
2) Select the view where you want to have the additional lines.
3) Click on the Source property's value. Click on the button occurring to the right.
4) Add the sketch to the selection. Sometimes this doesn't work on first try; try again.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
mendy

Post by mendy »

Here is a sample using model threads and also TechDraw Tools macro. Probably not ISO.
Note: Threaded cylinder is remodeled as model threads fails based on reverse as I remember from a post by @chrisb.
On a larger sheet so scale is 1. If nothing else had to look up section view, another new thing for me.
Attachments
Tube Sample.FCStd
(603.07 KiB) Downloaded 27 times
NachoZurbano

Post by NachoZurbano »

Many thanks, Mendy :D
@
mendy wrote: Thu Jun 10, 2021 8:18 pm Here is a sample using model threads and also TechDraw Tools macro. Probably not ISO.
Note: Threaded cylinder is remodeled as model threads fails based on reverse as I remember from a post by @chrisb.
On a larger sheet so scale is 1. If nothing else had to look up section view, another new thing for me.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »