Making beam torsion

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
snowforest

Making beam torsion

Post by snowforest »

I cannot figure out how to make a beam torsion. No, making a plane and then sweeping along helix doesn't work. If you do it and look at it, you see that the beam is also warped. I do not want that. I want the beam to undergo only torsion around its center of cross section. For example, lets assume it has a square cross section. I want that square cross section to rotate around its center point as it also proceeds in axial direction. If you make the square sweep along helix, it doesnt work, even if you place the start of helix at the center of the square, or at a corner, in which case you will also see warping and not symmetrical torsion with respect to he center of cross section. I even tried to make the diameter of helix the same as the diagonal of the square as you see in the file attached. Can someone help?
Attachments
torsion upload.FCStd
(5.37 KiB) Downloaded 16 times
Roy_043
Veteran

Re: Making beam torsion

Post by Roy_043 »

Select the Frenet option.
snowforest

Post by snowforest »

Ohh it worked now. It didnt work before, but that was when I was using different radius or had placed the foot of the helix at the wrong place. in this state I had not tried frenet yet. Thanks
Kunda1
Veteran

Post by Kunda1 »

Please mark thread [Solved] by prepending it to the first post title summary, thanks
Alone you go faster. Together we go farther
Please mark thread [Solved]
Want to contribute back to FC? Checkout:
'good first issues' | Open TODOs and FIXMEs | How to Help FreeCAD | How to report Bugs