To create text

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
snowforest

To create text

Post by snowforest »

I am in part workbench. I created some parts but now I want to add some text, but there is not an option there. So what is the best way? To do it in draft workbench and then copy to part workbench? And we can either extrude it or leave it as 2d?
drmacro
Veteran

Re: To create text

Post by drmacro »

snowforest wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:34 pm I am in part workbench. I created some parts but now I want to add some text, but there is not an option there. So what is the best way? To do it in draft workbench and then copy to part workbench? And we can either extrude it or leave it as 2d?
Use ShapeString in Draft workbench.

Then assuming the font you choose has no self intersections, unclosed profiles, Use Part Extrude.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

already written, did not bother to take it out...

Draft_ShapeString

from the first paragraph...
"This shape can be used to create 3D letters with the Part Extrude command."

and there are links to tutorials.

the documentation of freecad is simply not as bad it is made out to be by some.

btw, there is no "copy" between part wb and draft wb, what is done in draft can be used in part and vice versa (generally true, might be some edge cases which mere mortals are unlikely to come across). they do not have the same concept of "body", which is what you might think of, that when using partdesign wb things needs to "be inside the body".
snowforest

Post by snowforest »

drmacro wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:52 pm
snowforest wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 5:34 pm I am in part workbench. I created some parts but now I want to add some text, but there is not an option there. So what is the best way? To do it in draft workbench and then copy to part workbench? And we can either extrude it or leave it as 2d?
Use ShapeString in Draft workbench.

Then assuming the font you choose has no self intersections, unclosed profiles, Use Part Extrude.
I cliked on shape string but I do not see where to type. Only a dialog box opens on the left of the screen, but there is nowhere to type. ANd I looked at documentation and it tells us to click on the 3d drawing area which I did but nothing happens. Where do we type? How?
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

Snip macro screenshot-7e7929.png
Snip macro screenshot-7e7929.png (27.96 KiB) Viewed 1436 times
ps: also I had never used shape string before this post. could make sense to have something else than "default" prefilled, regardless of that the tooltip is crystal clear imho.

psII: to make it easier on other readers of the forum, for the future, please avoid making quotes of full posts, it seldom adds anything useful.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

snowforest wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 8:06 am Where do we type? How?
The text is entered in the String field and you can change it later in the String property in the Data tab.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
snowforest

Post by snowforest »

I cannot select a font. It asks to upload a font as a file. What file? Where?

Yes it could be crystal clear to me too but when I type something there (in string field), nothing happens, just like before or now. Where do the fonts come from? I click on the three dots, near "Font File"... it takes me to my own computer... well... I do not have font files anywhere I do not even know what is a font file....
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

snowforest wrote: Sun Jun 13, 2021 4:01 pm I cannot select a font. It asks to upload a font as a file. What file? Where?

Yes it could be crystal clear to me too but when I type something there (in string field), nothing happens, just like before or now. Where do the fonts come from? I click on the three dots, near "Font File"... it takes me to my own computer... well... I do not have font files anywhere I do not even know what is a font file....
Every computer operation system has a directory, somewhere on the machine the has the font files.

For example on a Linux machine: /usr/share/fonts

On Windoze it might be: C:\Windows\fonts

And there may be hundreds to choose from. ;)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

If you are on Windows the fonts directory may be hidden and you have to enter the directory name manually.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
edwilliams16
Veteran

Post by edwilliams16 »

On a Mac the fonts are in /Library/Fonts and /System/Library/Fonts and perhaps also elsewhere. The Font Book App shows you samples, location etc. of installed fonts. There's a lot of them!
Remember that you can look at directories in Mac's file selector with Command-Shift-g even if they are otherwise hidden.
Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 7.26.33 AM.png
Screen Shot 2021-06-13 at 7.26.33 AM.png (123.27 KiB) Viewed 1346 times