Extruding Multiple Wires Together

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
duckmug

Extruding Multiple Wires Together

Post by duckmug »

Lets say that in the draft workbench I create a rectangle wire and I draw a circle wire in its center.

Is there a way that I can extrude both in a similar way to sketching so that the circle gets interpreted as a hole?

I came across the post of someone that selecting both wires, upgrading (creating a compound) and extruding would do that, but it doesn't, it instead extrudes both as solids.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Extruding Multiple Wires Together

Post by chrisb »

Why don't you do it in Sketcher?
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
duckmug

Post by duckmug »

To be entirely honest, the fact that I have to be adding tens of constraints every time seems problematic to me.

I totally understand the benefits of it but it's time consuming.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

duckmug wrote: Sat Jun 12, 2021 11:47 pm To be entirely honest, the fact that I have to be adding tens of constraints every time seems problematic to me.

I totally understand the benefits of it but it's time consuming.
So don't add constraints.🤷‍♂️

Your model won't be parametric...but, then it won't be in Draft workbench either. :mrgreen:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I don't know what you want to model, but precision takes its time. Either by using such things as constraints or by doing some math outside of FreeCAD.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
duckmug

Post by duckmug »

I am coming from code-based CAD tools where making designs parametric was a piece of cake, so I am exploring my options for different use cases.
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

extrusions are done per face,
so if you make your rectangle and circle with the property "make face" set to true it becomes quite clear why fc does 2 extrusions from the compound (even more clear if you downgrade that compound).

now the question is, how does one make a face with a hole in it?
2 different ways:

draft/rectangle + draft/circle -> part/cut

draft/rectangle + draft/circle -> draft/upgrade (now a compound) -> part/bool xor

ps: when you are tinkering around in draft you are at the same time automatically learning a bit of the lower levels of fc, and how things work in terms of building different geometries, that learning will always be useful also somewhere else - so keep going your own way - but there might be a time when you yourself come to the conclusion that doing this in sketcher is best for you - but then at least it is your own finding, and not someone else's.
duckmug

Post by duckmug »

Very informative, thank you so much!