What is the typical work flow for this example

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Eric123

What is the typical work flow for this example

Post by Eric123 »

Hi,

I'm just learning freecad and I would like to experiment a little with an existing model which was in .dae format that consists of multiple meshes. Here's what I'd like to do:
  • Modify the shape of some of the parts (curves, etc.)
  • Generate some tool paths for CNC
  • Eventually create some drawings with the techdraw tool
  • It would be nice to also move some of these meshes back to a 2d sketch for parameterization if possible
My understanding is I need to convert the meshes back to shapes or solids. I've tried analyzing and repairing the meshes, then converting them to shapes. However it runs for hours and nothing seems to happen. I've tried just converting one mesh to a shape and I have the same problem. I've tried adjusting the tolerance (allows 1-9 as values) but it doesn't seem to help.

I'm not sure what to do our how to approach this problem. Any suggestions or links to resources would help. I've attached the model I'm working with.

Thanks,
Eric

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Attachments
oc6-bradley.FCStd
(54.24 KiB) Downloaded 17 times
Last edited by Eric123 on Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:54 pm, edited 1 time in total.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: What is the typical work flow for this example

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

I used "Mesh" as an example. I repaired it in MashDesign workbench and conversion to a shape and from shape to solid was done in seemingly no time. Perhaps you need to update.
Please attach your full FreeCAD info as described in the IMPORTANT forum rules linked above.

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.25065 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 4de2ad46b2b9c78ac2721a0dbea7c19306261095
Python version: 3.9.4
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.2
Locale: C/Default (C)
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Eric123

Post by Eric123 »

Updated the post. Did you convert it to a shape after selecting all the meshes, then going to the parts workbench and using convert mesh to shape? That's where it just hangs for hours for me.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Eric123 wrote: Mon Jun 14, 2021 8:59 pm Did you convert it to a shape after selecting all the meshes, then going to the parts workbench and using convert mesh to shape? That's where it just hangs for hours for me.
I didn't convert all meshes, because you said you had the same problems when converting a single one. FreeCAD isn't optimized for working with meshes, so if one of the meshes has let's say far more than 100,000 triangles the conversion can take too much resources. You may check if there is one such mesh among them.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
edwilliams16
Veteran

Post by edwilliams16 »

Repairing Mesh006 hangs FreeCAD. The meshes are all bad - not uncommon - maybe you should run the collada file through an external repair service before trying to import it into FreeCAD.
Eric123

Post by Eric123 »

Thanks. I noticed that I could get some to run through but then large portions would be deleted after repairing. I'll try another tool to repair it, but it's probably going to need redrawing I guess.