Wrong Pockets Angle

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
duckmug

Wrong Pockets Angle

Post by duckmug »

I am puzzled with what is happening here, I created some pockets in order to create holes that go directly through the sides of the cylinder.

I was unable to use map to face so I did it directly and the pockets are not going in straight as desired, they have an angle.

I cannot find a relevant option that addresses this.
Attachments
Screenshot from 2021-06-15 03-39-13.png
Screenshot from 2021-06-15 03-39-13.png (18.69 KiB) Viewed 476 times
Last edited by duckmug on Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:28 am, edited 2 times in total.
duckmug

Re: Wrong Pockets Angle

Post by duckmug »

I was able to do micro adjustments to the axis option in the data panel and fix that.

Is there a way though to align a wire (or even a sketch) to a cylinder side face perfectly without doing it manually?
edwilliams16
Veteran

Post by edwilliams16 »

Connect the sketch offset with the radius using https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Expressions?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Mere guessing: You probably should have centered your disk around the origin and create the sketches on the appropriate main planes with an offset in z. For further recommendations you should upload the file.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

duckmug wrote: Tue Jun 15, 2021 2:06 am Is there a way though to align a wire (or even a sketch) to a cylinder side face perfectly without doing it manually?
You can attach a sketch to the surface if you have an additional point, but be careful with topological naming problems, because that's generated geometry and may cause problems if the cylinder isn't the first primitive in the body.

You can further attach the circle with mode FrenetTB to the upper or lower edge, which would require an additional vertical offset.

And you can attach the circle with mode Normal to edge to the upper or lower edge, which would require an additional vertical offset and a rotation around x or y of 90°. With the MapPath property you can then move the circle around the cylinder.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
duckmug

Post by duckmug »

Thanks a lot, will try these in the near future!