Reduce contour of body

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Reduce contour of body

Post by chrisb »

You can in FontForge either validate a single character with Element->Valdation, or all together when you generate the font with File->Generate fonts, and then check "Validate Before Saving".
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Groovechampion

Post by Groovechampion »

Thanks for the help, but I found a workaround for my problem letters. Just in case someone else will have this problem.

created 2 bodys, each with the same character created in draft WB at the same position

Extruded both letters in part design WB, used negative thickness on one of them with rhe offset i needed (e.g. 0.15 or 0.20)

made a cut of both in part WB

Result is a reduced letter as I expected from offset.

Just needs same tuning for each letter and also in cura some tuning to get these letters printed, as the resulting lines are really thin. But with the right settings e.g. outer walls first they were all sliced and printed correct.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

For the record, I once had the same problem. I'm going to quote the solution. Feel.free to have a look at the whole thread.
TheMarkster wrote: Fri Jul 12, 2019 5:46 am I show a way to do this in this video. I did not constrain the sketch, but you of course may do so if it pleases you. No doubt you will want to set the lengths of those lines. Note the use of the block constraints to hold existing elements in place temporarily. The converted sketch is largely unconstrained, so be careful not to move elements accidentally. The block constraint is good to hold them in place the ones you don't want moving on you.

To briefly outline the steps.

* Take a cross-section
* Compound explode to remove the parts we don't want
* Draft -> Draft to sketch tool to get a sketch
* Trim away unwanted elements and adapt the sketch to fit the original piece precisely
* Extrude to make sure the sketch is not open somewhere
* Delete extrude
* Use 2d offset with a negative value to create clearance
* Use Part measuring tool to determine extrude height we need
* Extrude the offset this time (not the sketch)

phpBB [video]

You can experiment with different clearance values by modifying the 2d offset object. The offset I used might look good on the screen, but it might still be too tight. Perhaps print a very thin experimental piece first, say 1 mm thick just to test the fit before printing the full piece.