Export faces individually

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kirjaissa

Export faces individually

Post by Kirjaissa »

Is it possible to retain some information about each face after exporting to STL or some other not too exotic file format ?
I need the information downstream for texturing purpose, and the whole object exported as STL no longer has this piece of information.
What would be a way to do this ? I would be fine with either having the boundary curves as a point list, and even each face in a separate file.
Attachments
dumb.png
dumb.png (106.26 KiB) Viewed 897 times
Kirjaissa

Re: Export faces individually

Post by Kirjaissa »

I found a way to do it using Draft / Downgrade but the process of selecting the faces is very tedious.
Is there a way to drag + select the resulting faces like in virtually all 3d programs ?
openBrain
Veteran

Post by openBrain »

FreeCAD has some documentation, like virtually any program => Std BoxSelection
Then IMO the better way if you want to say "export each selected faces into an own file" is to script it with a macro.

As a sidenote, STL is a lossy tesselated format. You should use STEP or IGES.
Kirjaissa

Post by Kirjaissa »

openBrain wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 12:49 pm FreeCAD has some documentation, like virtually any program => Std BoxSelection
Then IMO the better way if you want to say "export each selected faces into an own file" is to script it with a macro.

As a sidenote, STL is a lossy tessellated format. You should use STEP or IGES.
STEP or IGES are not fully supported in the target program, so I need some tessellation anyway.
Also, is it possible to make some boolean Box Selection ? Typically a modifier key will remove or XOR the new selection from the current selection.
TheMarkster
Veteran

Post by TheMarkster »

Lattice2 workbench has a parametric downgrade option. So if you make changes to the model the individual faces also get updated. Install via the addon manager in the tools menu. Select you object to downgrade, in the Lattice2 menu select parametric downgrade -> faces. Then use explode compound to get at the individual faces. There are also other options besides faces, such as vertices, edges, etc.

Try selecting in the tree instead of the 3d view. Select the first item, then hold shift key down while selecting the last one. Ctrl select to remove the ones you don't want in the selection.