assembly and multiple spreadsheets

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
proudfatherde

assembly and multiple spreadsheets

Post by proudfatherde »

I am trying to assemble parts in free cad. As I understand it, you have to create each part as a separate file (a2plus). This is a problem in that I want to have one spreadsheet with all of the variables so that when I change something it will automatically change everything relevant. Can someone give me some direction on this? would another assembly work bench be better? I am just doing simple wood working. thanks!
spanner888

Re: assembly and multiple spreadsheets

Post by spanner888 »

Put the spreadsheet in a separate file, so all the designs reference one set of parameters.

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Spreadsheet_Workbench
You can reference spreadsheet data from an external file with this syntax: =NameOfFile#<<MySpreadsheet>>.MyAlias.
The advantage of having the spreadsheet in another file over switching off recomputes is that the spreadsheet itself does get recomputed.
The disadvantage is that the model won't automatically recompute after changes to the spreadsheet.
In the scenario where you first open the 'spreadsheet' file, change one or more values and then open the 'model' file, there won't be any indication that the model needs to be recomputed. But if both files are open the Std Refresh icon will update correctly for the 'model' file after changes to the 'spreadsheet' file.
proudfatherde

Post by proudfatherde »

Thanks for the help. I tried your example but it did not work. could you give a real world example from a windows10 perspective?
spanner888

Post by spanner888 »

These files created in Win10. Make sure both files open in FreeCAD, as described in above wiki page.
spreadsheetOnly.FCStd
(2.23 KiB) Downloaded 39 times
designUsingExternalSpreadsheet.FCStd
(5.63 KiB) Downloaded 46 times
If you need more help,please follow forum guidelines and post your FreeCAD about info and in addition, please post the model your need help with and a much clearer description of what you need help with as "did not work" does not give any information to help Forum users help you.

Code: Select all

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.2
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/Australia (en_AU)
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

I guess that you could create links to the spreadsheet too. That's how I'm working with Spreadsheets if I'm creating the assembly in another file and want to get data from a Spreadsheet in one of the files containing the actual models.