[Sketcher] display name parameter on dimension constraint

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
doia

[Sketcher] display name parameter on dimension constraint

Post by doia »

Hi, is it possible to display the optional name parameter of a dimension constraint on the dimension text in the sketcher view? E.g. instead of only displaying the value of a dim constraint "100 mm", it would display "width: 100 mm", if the optional name parameter is set to "width" (if not set it would only display the value).

This would greatly help in quickly identifying what part of the sketch is influenced by a specific named dim constraint.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: [Sketcher] display name parameter on dimension constraint

Post by chrisb »

You cannot see the names in 3D view, but you see them in the constraints list in the left panel. Searching there for a named dimension is sped up if you display only "Datums".
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

I think this might be a reasonable feature request, not sure I need it but might be useful in some workflows.
concifederico

Post by concifederico »

doia wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:43 pm Hi, is it possible to display the optional name parameter of a dimension constraint on the dimension text in the sketcher view? E.g. instead of only displaying the value of a dim constraint "100 mm", it would display "width: 100 mm", if the optional name parameter is set to "width" (if not set it would only display the value).

This would greatly help in quickly identifying what part of the sketch is influenced by a specific named dim constraint.
Nice to see other asking what I have already imagined. Thanks!
garya

Post by garya »

Note that if you select the dim in the 3D view, the corresponding constraint is selected in the task pane so you can see its name there.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Bance wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 10:00 pm I think this might be a reasonable feature request, not sure I need it but might be useful in some workflows.
+1
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
doia

Post by doia »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:48 pm … see them in the constraints list in the left panel. Searching there …
That "Searching there" is the reason I ask. Especially on small screens it's a lot of scrolling in the constraints list, as this list is not ordered. Would be nice to see the named parameter on first glance without interrupting the sketching workflow.

I will file a feature request in the tracker. (Would do it myself, but got stuck on compiling FC on Mac. But that's another story.)
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

While it may be a reasonable request, I suspect it will make already crowded sketches even harder on the eyes.

Convenient methods to view/hide them will be needed (methods more comprehensive and convenient than toggle to virtual space currently available).

Maybe use of the search pane and search feature in the tree view could be useful...
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
nexus8

Post by nexus8 »

Hello fellow freecaders,

I support the idea of being able to display the name of the constraint on the sketch.

I usually create a spreadsheet to define my parameters, but it has happen to me that after a while I forget the distances they represent. So, creating a 2D sketch with all parameters' names and values would be nice.
doia

Post by doia »

I started the code for this feature. See https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=61153 for discussion about the implementation.