What is the process flow for fasteners workbench

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
run_the_race

What is the process flow for fasteners workbench

Post by run_the_race »

I am strugglign with the fasteners workbench. It is a great workbench, but unfortuantely it is laking in documentation. All I found was "Lorem epsom" on none obvious documentation.

Its easy enough to add a fasteners, but what I don't understand is how they are linked or attached. I have a few parts, some have a few bodies in each part. I wish to have a folder(group) in each part to hold the fasteners. However when I start moving the fasteners into the groups, the bodies move out their parts. Then I try move them back and the fasteners come too. Then I try move the fasteners out and the bodies move out.

I don't know what is going on. In this image I try to move "frame" back into the "sheetmetal" part, note all the fasteners that come along for the ride too.

Any insight would be greately appreciated.
saveas.gif
saveas.gif (438.88 KiB) Viewed 524 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: What is the process flow for fasteners workbench

Post by chrisb »

The fasteners have a property "baseObject".
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
run_the_race

Post by run_the_race »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 7:51 pm The fasteners have a property "baseObject".
Thanks for that Chris.

How do you use the base object property? I changed the base object for all the fasteners to the file node, and it understandably positioned them all to 0,0,0.

What I don't understand is what sets the base node, is that when I select a circle to apply the fastener? Cause then the base node should always be the same. However I see some fasteners follow the bodies, and some dont. I am deleting and recreating them all 80 fasteners and making sure not to drop them into any groups in parts. Then they stay in their group not follow the body.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

I usually don't change this property, but you can select a fastener, and some circle and apply Fasteners->Move Fastener.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
run_the_race

Post by run_the_race »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jun 17, 2021 9:09 pm I usually don't change this property, but you can select a fastener, and some circle and apply Fasteners->Move Fastener.
Thanks chrisb. I came right with "skip recompute" on the file. Then selected each fastener and click move (with no feature selected) to unlink it from the edge. Then enabled reomputing, then could move the fasteners around without them breaking the model. The only disadvantage is one needs to update the fastener positions if the model changes.

I found this article by Shaise which helps alot: http://theseger.com/projects/2015/06/fa ... r-freecad/

And I asked Shaise if I could use the info from the article to update the following wiki pages:
- https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Fasteners_Shape
- https://wiki.freecadweb.org/Fasteners_Move#Notes
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

run_the_race wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 9:38 am And I asked Shaise if I could use the info from the article to update the following wiki pages:
I like your approach of updating the wiki after having found a solution here.