How can I have dimensions’ texts oriented right-side-up for any perspective? How about automatically? Thanks

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wisecad

How can I have dimensions’ texts oriented right-side-up for any perspective? How about automatically? Thanks

Post by wisecad »

Dear FreeCAD team/community,

- Introduction (you can skip this detail and go directly to the problem section):
Here is another question about dimensions. The dimensions highlighted (colored aqua) in the first uploaded image below show the text upside-down for this particular perspective. :(
Software-Freecad-Issues-09-DimensionTextFlipAndOutsideDimensionLine-01.jpg
Software-Freecad-Issues-09-DimensionTextFlipAndOutsideDimensionLine-01.jpg (106.91 KiB) Viewed 1112 times

-Problem:
If I set the “Flip Text” property to True, the text rotates 180 degrees on the dimension line’s normal plane, to be right-side-up for the current perspective :) , but it goes inside the dimension lines’ space :? . Please, see the second uploaded image below.
Software-Freecad-Issues-09-DimensionTextFlipAndOutsideDimensionLine-01b.jpg
Software-Freecad-Issues-09-DimensionTextFlipAndOutsideDimensionLine-01b.jpg (107.57 KiB) Viewed 1112 times

What I want is to have the text as displayed in the third uploaded image below (obtained not using FreeCAD, but by manipulating the image), being right-side-up for the current perspective and also outside the dimension lines’ space.
I tried using the “Text Spacing” property, but it doesn’t accept negative values :roll: , which would allow the text to be relocated outside the dimension lines’ space.
Software-Freecad-Issues-09-DimensionTextFlipAndOutsideDimensionLine-02.jpg
Software-Freecad-Issues-09-DimensionTextFlipAndOutsideDimensionLine-02.jpg (109.2 KiB) Viewed 1112 times

Please don’t concentrate on how far outside the dimension lines’ space I placed the text on the image above. It was done only to emphasize the fact that I want the text outside the dimension lines’ space.

QUESTIONS:
- Is there a way to orient text in the way depicted in the image above?
- Is there a way to make FreeCAD re-orient dimensions’ texts to be right-side-up for whichever perspective is currently being used?

Thanks in advance for your time and for your answers.

Cheers
Raoul
wisecad

Re: How can I have dimensions’ texts oriented right-side-up for any perspective? How about automatically? Thanks

Post by wisecad »

Hello there! Happy Father’s day! :D

It seems like the community hasn’t had much of an appetite for these kinds of questions lately. :lol: However, since I found a workaround, I’d like to share in case other newbies runs into this issue. :idea:
Again, the solution is stupid simple. :oops: I had not realized that you can add more than one dimension to the same segment.
- First, hide the original dimension’s line by typing a space in the “Override” property. Thanks to Roy_043 for that tip.
- Then, add another dimension to the same segment (on the same plane as the original dimension). Make sure the new dimension line extends beyond the original dimension line, enough to allow space for the new dimension’s text in between both lines.
- Now, rotate the new dimension’s text 180-degrees (on the dimension’s plane), by turning the “Flip Text” property to “true”.
Please, see the first uploaded picture below.
Software-Freecad-Issues-09-DimensionTextFlipAndOutsideDimensionLine-03a.jpg
Software-Freecad-Issues-09-DimensionTextFlipAndOutsideDimensionLine-03a.jpg (111.31 KiB) Viewed 1026 times

- Finally, hide the new dimension’s line by turning the “Show line” property to false. You should end up with a result that looks like the second uploaded picture below.
Software-Freecad-Issues-09-DimensionTextFlipAndOutsideDimensionLine-03b.jpg
Software-Freecad-Issues-09-DimensionTextFlipAndOutsideDimensionLine-03b.jpg (108.88 KiB) Viewed 1026 times

This solution is robust. Since the new dimension is also associated to a segment, it will be automatically updated if the size of the segment is changed, as opposed to a point-to-point dimension which will not be automatically updated.
Another example of how FreeCAD’s flexibility (allowing us to have more than one dimension associated with the same segment) makes it possible to overcome current limitations with a simple solution. Awesome! :)
Hope it helps the next newbie out there. :geek:

Cheers
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Re: How can I have dimensions’ texts oriented right-side-up for any perspective? How about automatically? Thanks

Post by thomas-neemann »

i think the result is very good. why does anyone need 2d drawings from now on?
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
wisecad

Post by wisecad »

thomas-neemann wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:51 am i think the result is very good. why does anyone need 2d drawings from now on?
:lol: Hallo Thomas. Thanks. At least for me, it is enough with a well-documented 3D model, although I am sure professionals will never part ways with them. Since my models at this point are not anywhere close to going into production, I can get away without 2D drawings. :lol:
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

thomas-neemann wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 7:51 am i think the result is very good. why does anyone need 2d drawings from now on?
"Cradle to grave manufacturing" (where the model only and no drawings are used) has been promoted since the 1970's...apparently there are not enough people with your opinion after 50 years.
:lol:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

drmacro wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:04 am
can still come :-)
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

thomas-neemann wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 11:19 am
drmacro wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 10:04 am
can still come :-)
Sure, but, don't hold your breath. :roll:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

3d dimensions are great for illustrations, probably will take a while though until 2d drawings are replaced in manufacturing.

anyways, is it not possible to do what you are after also without "extra dimension & hide/show"?

here is how it looks with "vanilla settings" for me.
draft_dim1.png
draft_dim1.png (5.63 KiB) Viewed 797 times
and the look after tuning the "view properties", like text location, extension lines, etc.
draft_dim2.png
draft_dim2.png (4.52 KiB) Viewed 797 times
sure, the "vanilla settings" could be improved (preferences...), and possibly there could be some more "intelligence" in the code supporting tuning.
but, to me it feels like all needed tuning possibilities are there ready to be used, albeit not always given obvious names, but they are nonetheless there.