To Flip or Not to Flip, That is the Question (Datum Planes)

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
chrisb
Veteran

Re: To Flip or Not to Flip, That is the Question (Datum Planes)

Post by chrisb »

In the version shown below it is as run_the_race describes. thomas-neemann is right, that on creation of a DatumPlane in XY-plane the axis cross points initially in the right direction. However, it stays in that position even if the DatumPLane is moved.

Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.20.25065 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: master
Hash: 4de2ad46b2b9c78ac2721a0dbea7c19306261095
Python version: 3.9.4
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.5.2
Locale: C/Default (C)
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
run_the_race

Post by run_the_race »

thomas-neemann wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 5:20 pm
run_the_race wrote: Sun Jun 20, 2021 4:52 pm
For me it is like this, if I start the datuplane in the xy plane, I can move and twist it as desired, it always corresponds to the coordinate system.
Okay I see, thats a point worth remembering. However in this case it is attached to some reference sketch geometry, not a plane.
thomas-neemann
Veteran

Post by thomas-neemann »

run_the_race wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:25 am However in this case it is attached to some reference sketch geometry, not a plane.
if I understand it correctly, it shouldn't be done because of the topo ... problem
Gruß Dipl.-Ing. (FH) Thomas Neemann

https://www.youtube.com/@thomasneemann5 ... ry=freecad
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

thomas-neemann wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:41 am
run_the_race wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:25 am However in this case it is attached to some reference sketch geometry, not a plane.
if I understand it correctly, it shouldn't be done because of the topo ... problem
In the opposite, we usually recommend to attach to the main planes or to sketches, see this page, especially the paragraph about creating stable models. Yet attaching to sketches can cause toponaming issues.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
run_the_race

Post by run_the_race »

chrisb wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:53 am
thomas-neemann wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 7:41 am
In the opposite, we usually recommend to attach to the main planes or to sketches, see this page, especially the paragraph about creating stable models. Yet attaching to sketches can cause toponaming issues.
I have read that very good advice and tried to apply it. I thought I was applying the concept of a use a "master sketch", so then I thought its okay to attach a datum to a "master sketch", you reckon rather not?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

run_the_race wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 5:25 pm I have read that very good advice and tried to apply it. I thought I was applying the concept of a use a "master sketch", so then I thought its okay to attach a datum to a "master sketch", you reckon rather not?
You did it right by attaching to the sketch! I think thoma-niemann got it wrong. He may had thought about attaching to faces instead of sketches.