Can't pad mirrored sketch

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
jgauthier

Can't pad mirrored sketch

Post by jgauthier »

Hello,

I grabbed an STL (ugh way to start) and converted to a part. I created a sketch, put it where I wanted and padded it. Perfect.
Then, I mirrored the sketch. I moved the sketch to the correct body, changed the attachment where I wanted it.
Then, I hit "pad" and not only does it disappear but so does the previous one.

If I pad it while it's touching the original it will pad. But then I can't move it outside of that physical constraints.

Can anyone school me? I can't attach the file because it's too large.
2021-06-18_18-42-53.png
2021-06-18_18-42-53.png (13.37 KiB) Viewed 1130 times
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Can't pad mirrored sketch

Post by drmacro »

Don't mirror in the sketch.

Only sketch half. (I'm assuming you are using a Body and have dropped the converted solid in, thus creating a BaseFeature) Then Pad it. Then Mirror the feature created by the Pad.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
jgauthier

Post by jgauthier »

drmacro wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 10:54 pm Don't mirror in the sketch.

Only sketch half. (I'm assuming you are using a Body and have dropped the converted solid in, thus creating a BaseFeature) Then Pad it. Then Mirror the feature created by the Pad.

Hmm. Okay, I did not mirror "in the sketch" per se. I mirrored the actual sketch. I made the "U", padded it, the mirrored the sketch.
You are saying do not do that. (And yes, I am using a basefeature).

So, then you are saying to mirror the padded objected after? That seems to just stick it on top of itself and I cannot move it.
2021-06-18_19-30-02.png
2021-06-18_19-30-02.png (26.22 KiB) Viewed 1104 times
Thanks!
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

It is being mirrored around the sketch axis? This the default.

Is the sketch at the center of the imported component?

If so, then the U shape should be placed appropriately to end up where you show it and the mirror a is will be correct.

Otherwise you need to create, for example a datum plane to mirror around.
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
jgauthier

Post by jgauthier »

drmacro wrote: Fri Jun 18, 2021 11:50 pm It is being mirrored around the sketch axis? This the default.

If so, then the U shape should be placed appropriately to end up where you show it and the mirror a is will be correct.

Otherwise you need to create, for example a datum plane to mirror around.
Sadly, you're speaking above me. I've been using FreeCAD for a few months, and I've been reasonably competent,. Then I run into something like this and I simply don't understand what you are trying tell me.
It is being mirrored around the sketch axis? This the default.
"it"? that pad or the original sketch? Either way, I don't know. But the sketch is at the origin, so okay. I can see that it would be doing that.
No, it doesn't look like it to me.
2021-06-18_20-10-47.png
2021-06-18_20-10-47.png (13.25 KiB) Viewed 1067 times
So, I need to figure out where, in the sketch plane, to place this sketch and then mirror it? Okay, I think that makes some sense.
I'll try it out.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

you could move the basefeature to the center, then the mirror default would work.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

For such a symmetric thing you should move it before working on the model to be appropriately centered relative to the global coordinate system. It makes life much easier.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 3:49 am For such a symmetric thing you should move it before working on the model to be appropriately centered relative to the global coordinate system. It makes life much easier.
Think we should make a wiki page covering handling stl (etc.) in more detail and include instructions for @edwilliams moving macro...hmm 8-) :?:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

drmacro wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:57 am Think we should make a wiki page covering handling stl (etc.) in more detail and include instructions for @edwilliams moving macro...hmm 8-) :?:
Such a page should start with something like (tongue in cheek): "The best thing you can do with STL files: avoid them as input format".
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
jgauthier

Post by jgauthier »

chrisb wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 11:54 am
drmacro wrote: Sat Jun 19, 2021 9:57 am Think we should make a wiki page covering handling stl (etc.) in more detail and include instructions for @edwilliams moving macro...hmm 8-) :?:
Such a page should start with something like (tongue in cheek): "The best thing you can do with STL files: avoid them as input format".
It would be great if everyone who produced something gave the source design as well.. but sometimes we're stuck with these stupid things :/

Thanks for all the help, everyone. I am going to start fresh and try to get the imported object centered and see if that helps my mission.