Export with Y as elevation, a different scale, and opposite winding for faces

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kirjaissa

Export with Y as elevation, a different scale, and opposite winding for faces

Post by Kirjaissa »

When importing in the 3d software in which I do the rendering , I always need to do those three things from a geometry exported in STL from FreeCAD
1/ flip the normals, which is related to the way the triangles are built
2/ scale to 0.1 % -- FC seems to be working in mm, while the other 3d software works in m.
3/ rotate 90 degrees around the x-axis (x axis as seen in the target)

Is there a way to get rid of some or all those operations ?
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: Export with Y as elevation, a different scale, and opposite winding for faces

Post by Shalmeneser »

Kirjaissa wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:07 pm When importing in the 3d software in which I do the rendering ...
Which one ?
Kirjaissa

Re: Export with Y as elevation, a different scale, and opposite winding for faces

Post by Kirjaissa »

Shalmeneser wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 8:07 pm
Kirjaissa wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:07 pm When importing in the 3d software in which I do the rendering ...
Which one ?
I'm not changing the units and the orientation in the target software. Maybe I'll do it in numpy-stl after it's written and before importing.
jeno
Veteran

Post by jeno »

Kirjaissa wrote: Tue Jun 22, 2021 6:07 pm When importing in the 3d software in which I do the rendering , I always need to do those three things from a geometry exported in STL from FreeCAD
1/ flip the normals, which is related to the way the triangles are built
2/ scale to 0.1 % -- FC seems to be working in mm, while the other 3d software works in m.
3/ rotate 90 degrees around the x-axis (x axis as seen in the target)

Is there a way to get rid of some or all those operations ?
1/
I can't remember that I had problems with the normals in Blender except the underlying model was broken. Can you post a model or stl-file which cause problems in your target software.
2/
stl is dimensionless. There is no wright or wrong. It is just interpretation of the given data. Maybe your software has an scale-option for stl-import.
3/
Most CAD-software follows the -Y forward and Z upward paradigm whereas some 3D graphics software uses the Z forward and Y upward. Probably this is due to the fact that some interchange formats like FBX or glTF also follow this paradigm. Again, maybe your target software also offers an import option. By the way: FBX and glTF are also based on meter als base unit.

cheers