Techdraw dimensions, how to set units to meters

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kirjaissa

Techdraw dimensions, how to set units to meters

Post by Kirjaissa »

I' m trying to set the units to m, with three decimal points.
I know how to set the unit suffix and three decimal points, but I can't find a way to convert from mm to m.
How can I do that ?
Attachments
techdraw2.png
techdraw2.png (20.17 KiB) Viewed 2741 times
Willem
Veteran

Re: Techdraw dimensions, how to set units to meters

Post by Willem »

In the Preferences set - General - Units to MKS
Kirjaissa

Post by Kirjaissa »

Willem wrote: Wed Jun 23, 2021 2:40 pm In the Preferences set - General - Units to MKS
Should be enough for now.
So it's not possible to have both m for length in a range and cm for another range or something adaptive like that ?

So while writing this reply, I found out that the settings only apply to new dimensions. A side effect is being able to use two different unit if you change the settings in between, as long as you don't touch them (dragging them will reevalute the text under the new rules). Pretty sure it will come back to bite me.
gatlib

Post by gatlib »

Hi everyone,

Needing dimensions in meters in TechDraw, I did try setting
Edit > Preferences... > General > Unit system
to MKS, but I still get dimensions in mm in TechDraw.
I tired without succes to: restart freecad, delete an create again the dimension, create a new page/view, recompute dimension/view/page, Length/Horizontal/Vertical Dimension...

I attached an elementary test case, "Page" is created before the unit change in the preferences, "Page001" after the unit change.

Just for the record, my problem does not seems related to this very old bug, in my case if I set
Edit > Preferences... > TechDraw > Dimensions > Show units
the dimension will always show "mm" and the number will always be the length in mm.

Am I missing something obvious?

Code: Select all

OS: Debian GNU/Linux 11 (bullseye) (XFCE/lightdm-xsession)
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.21.0.33675 (Git) AppImage
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.21.0)
Hash: 41b058e2087de60dc8fef3d3e68c7d0129e13abf
Python 3.10.12, Qt 5.15.8, Coin 4.0.0, Vtk 9.2.5, OCC 7.6.3
Locale: English/United States (en_US)
Note I found the same behaviour on LinkDaily branch, I can post details if that's relevant.
Attachments
TD_dimension_unit.FCStd
(33.54 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
gatlib

Post by gatlib »

Another detail: changing units to "US customary" or "Imperial decimal" does work correctly. A simple drag and drop of a dimension updates it in inches (correct unit and number displayed). Reverting to MKS gives millimeters again (and not meters, as it would be excepted).
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

gatlib wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 10:32 am Another detail: changing units to "US customary" or "Imperial decimal" does work correctly. A simple drag and drop of a dimension updates it in inches (correct unit and number displayed). Reverting to MKS gives millimeters again (and not meters, as it would be excepted).
This is an issue with the Standard and MKS unit schemas. Both schemas try to outsmart the user and assign the unit based on the value. In both, you will get mm for 0.1 mm < value < 10 m.

There was talk of creating a schema that was always in metres, but it doesn't look like that was ever implemented.

This can't be fixed within TechDraw, as we use whatever the schema provides.
gatlib

Post by gatlib »

OK, thanks @wandererfan for confirming the issue and pointing its source.

The only work-around I found is to manually edit the dimensions with arbitrary text, tedious but still possible in my particular case today.
wandererfan wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:27 pm There was talk of creating a schema that was always in metres
Do you remember where this discussion took place? Just to see if I have to propose a feature request for a "dumb" schema ("smart" things rarely fit my needs...) that only uses units it was asked to.
wandererfan
Veteran

Post by wandererfan »

gatlib wrote: Thu Nov 09, 2023 5:54 pm Do you remember where this discussion took place? Just to see if I have to propose a feature request for a "dumb" schema ("smart" things rarely fit my needs...) that only uses units it was asked to.
This one, I think: viewtopic.php?t=71365
gatlib

Post by gatlib »

Great, thanks for the pointer. Indeed there already is a feature request open.
However I'll report in the other thread that the range above which the length should switch to MKS does not work for me.