Failure after failure trying to create a funnel shape. Please, help! Thanks

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wisecad

Re: Failure after failure trying to create a funnel shape. Please, help! Thanks

Post by wisecad »

Shalmeneser wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:26 pm The best solution is a Revolution.

Is your thickness constant ? (the same thickness = only one dimension in the sketch)
The dimensions are for the interior or the exterior ?
Hi Shalmeneser. :) Thank you so much for your sample image. It truly illustrated the point you are making.
Certainly, a revolution would give you easier control over the thickness of the wall. :idea:
I guess based on the way I had conceived the walls they would have had constant thickness, but your image proved that if my implementation would have been successful my walls would have not been of constant thickness. For this design, precisely constant wall-thickness wasn’t high up on my concerns, but nonetheless a great point to keep in mind for my future and hopefully more sophisticated/refined designs. Thanks again.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

if you want the funal "Castrol" famous in the garages, you start well, but you have to make the central loft before the pipe
Attachments
funnel Castrol.FCStd
(41.77 KiB) Downloaded 21 times
funnel Castrol.PNG
funnel Castrol.PNG (19.24 KiB) Viewed 709 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

Just one Pad and one AdditiveLoft (with 4 skectchs and option : ruled).
Attachments
Tunnel Patrol.FCStd
(44.72 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Corpus delicti 29.png
Corpus delicti 29.png (61.48 KiB) Viewed 694 times
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Shalmeneser wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:07 pm Just one Pad and one AdditiveLoft
It is of course possible to use loft to create cylindrical shapes. But having a small number of features is not necessarily the best solution. The surface of a cylindrical loft is not the same as from a pad or revolve. You can verify if you try to refine two stacked lofted cylinders.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
wisecad

Post by wisecad »

papyblaise wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 7:28 pm if you want the funal "Castrol" famous in the garages, you start well, but you have to make the central loft before the pipe
Hello papyblaise, :) Thank you for your "Castrol" sample file. Very interesting! :)
wisecad

Post by wisecad »

Shalmeneser wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:07 pm Just one Pad and one AdditiveLoft (with 4 skectchs and option : ruled).
Hello Shalmeneser. That is super-cool. :idea: Thanks
wisecad

Post by wisecad »

chrisb wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 10:21 pm
Shalmeneser wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 9:07 pm Just one Pad and one AdditiveLoft
It is of course possible to use loft to create cylindrical shapes. But having a small number of features is not necessarily the best solution. The surface of a cylindrical loft is not the same as from a pad or revolve. You can verify if you try to refine two stacked lofted cylinders.
Hi chrisb :)
Good point about having a small number of features not necessarily being always the best solution.
Now, please pardon my ignorance, but what do you mean when you wrote that the surfaces are different? Isn't the final result the same geometrical construct (with the same properties) regardless of the path used to get there?
Also, what do you mean by "refine two stacked lofted cylinders"? :?:
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

wisecad wrote: Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:48 pm Isn't the final result the same geometrical construct (with the same properties) regardless of the path used to get there?
No, it isn't. It is a similar difference as in 2D between a line defined by its two endpoints and a B-spline forming a straight line.

Also, what do you mean by "refine two stacked lofted cylinders"? :?:
Make two lofted cylinders with the same diameter. Set Refine=True on the second loft -> there is still the seam.
Now do the same with cylinders created from two sketches containing circles -> the seam is gone.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

it's like making the object with a mechanical latche or with a CNC milling machine
with the first one you will have a perfect cylinder, with the second one you will have an infinite number of facets
but for the Castrol which you like, my method is essential
i would like to see how chrisb would do it
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Here is the example I talked about. Note that in both bodies Refine is set to true.
Attachments
SweepVsPad.FCStd
(18.22 KiB) Downloaded 20 times