Failure after failure trying to create a funnel shape. Please, help! Thanks

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
wisecad

Failure after failure trying to create a funnel shape. Please, help! Thanks

Post by wisecad »

Dear FreeCAD team/community,

- Introduction (you can skip this detail and go directly to the problem section):
Please, see below the object I am trying to model, which for this illustration I have created using another 3D-modeling software package that shall not be named. :o :shock:
Software-Freecad-Issues-11-Funnel-01.jpg
Software-Freecad-Issues-11-Funnel-01.jpg (45.87 KiB) Viewed 1020 times

So far, I have got the bottom part of the object, as seen in the image below, but I am missing the top funnel shape.
Software-Freecad-Issues-11-Funnel-01b.jpg
Software-Freecad-Issues-11-Funnel-01b.jpg (54.5 KiB) Viewed 1020 times

Problem: To get a funnel shape on top of the tubular structure (that emerges from the base), I have tried the following unsuccessful strategies.

Strategy-1: On the top circular face of the wider tubular structure atop the base, add a sketch with two concentric circles, then change the view tab’s Attachment-Offset’s Position (on the z-axis to elevate it a little over the structure), and finally pad (using the Part-Design workbench) the outer circle to get the funnel’s top narrow tube. Afterwards, I would link both (the wider and the narrow) tubular structures using a loft.
Please, see the image below as the model looks in the preliminary stage, right before I try to apply the pad tool on the outer circle of my new sketch.
Software-Freecad-Issues-11-Funnel-04.jpg
Software-Freecad-Issues-11-Funnel-04.jpg (56.8 KiB) Viewed 1020 times

Result: Failure. :cry: Didn't even get to try to link the wider and the narrow tubular structures using a loft.
Got the following error message: “Pad: Result has multiple solids. This is not supported at this time.”
Even thou on a brand new document I am able to add a sketch with two concentric circles, then pad the outer circle to get a tubular shape (like the funnel’s top narrow tube I desire). Please, see the animated image below. When I try to do the same thing in my existing model, I get the error described above.
Software-Freecad-Issues-11-Funnel-03.gif
Software-Freecad-Issues-11-Funnel-03.gif (51.12 KiB) Viewed 1020 times

Strategy-2: Add the funnel’s top narrow tube using the Tube creation tool (in the Part workbench), then use a loft to link the narrow tube’s bottom face with the face on the wider tubular structure atop the base. Please, see the image below showing the two structures (the funnel’s top narrow tube and the wider tubular structure atop the base) that I am trying to bridge with a conic shape I was hoping to produce with the loft tool.
Software-Freecad-Issues-11-Funnel-02.jpg
Software-Freecad-Issues-11-Funnel-02.jpg (88.79 KiB) Viewed 1020 times

Results: Double Failure
Failure 1: :x If I try to loft the narrow tube’s bottom face with the top circular face on the wider tubular structure atop the base I get the following error message: “Loft: Sections need to have the same amount of inner wires as the base section”
Failure-2: :evil: If I try to loft the narrow tube’s bottom face’s inner circle with the inner circle on the face of the wider tubular structure atop the base I get the following error message: “Linked shape object is not a wire”

Strategy-3: Pad (using the Part-Design workbench) the top circular face on the wider tubular structure atop the base, then scale the pad’s top circular face to narrow it, thus giving it a conic shape. Then use the pad tool again on the now scaled down face atop the conic shape to extend it, thus creating the narrow tube.
Result: Failure. :roll:
The entire tubular structure atop the base (not just the new pad’s top circular face as I intended) got scaled down. Even worse, it was a copy of the structure that got scaled down, not the referred structure itself.

QUESTION: Is there an easy way to produce the funnel on to of what I already have. It seems like conceptually I have the right ideas, but when it comes to execution I am horrible at guessing how FreeCAD is going to react to my commands. Maybe it is my previous experience using polygonal editors like Sketchup and Blender. Or maybe I am just plain stupid. :oops: I am leaning towards the last explanation,so I think I need a step-by-step guide.

Thanks in advance for your time and for your answers. :)

Cheers

Raoul
Last edited by wisecad on Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:46 am, edited 2 times in total.
drmacro
Veteran

Re: Failure after failure trying to create a funnel shape. Please, help! Thanks

Post by drmacro »

you can't select faces of generated geometry and loft between them (at least in the main branch), but you can create face binders and loft them.

(not at a pc so can't offer an example ATM)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
wisecad

Post by wisecad »

drmacro wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:44 am you can't select faces of generated geometry and loft between them (at least in the main branch), but you can create face binders and loft them.

(not at a pc so can't offer an example ATM)
Hello DrMacro. :) Thanks for your suggestion.
After learning that facebinders existed :lol: and reading a bit about them, I created a facebinder for the circular face of the wider tubular structure atop the base, and another facebinder for the funnel's narrow tube’s bottom face. With the first facebinder selected, I clicked on the loft tool, only to get the following error message: "Cannot use selected object. Selected object must belong to the active body. Consider using a ShapeBinder or a BaseFeature to reference external geometry in a body"
Please, see the image below, showing the first facebinder I made (for the circular face of the wider tubular structure atop the base) selected and the error I got upon trying to use the loft tool.
Software-Freecad-Issues-11-Funnel-05.jpg
Software-Freecad-Issues-11-Funnel-05.jpg (134.07 KiB) Viewed 993 times
bambuko
Veteran

Post by bambuko »

Why not use revolve for the funnel?
What am I missing? ;)

see attached:
funnel.FCStd
(19.5 KiB) Downloaded 36 times
PS
btw - as far as I know you shouldn't be mixing Part with Part Design...
I am using Link branch and Assembly3
you can also download ... and try it here
excellent Assembly3 tutorials here
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

bambuko wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:37 am Why not use revolve for the funnel?
probably a better option...

PS
That's generally what is said to new users to avoid the gory details.

But, the more accurate sentence is: "You shouldn't mix Part and PartDesign until you understand the implications and pitfalls. " :mrgreen:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
wisecad

Post by wisecad »

bambuko wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:37 am Why not use revolve for the funnel?
What am I missing? ;)

see attached:
funnel.FCStd

PS
Hello Bambuko, :) Thank you for your suggestion and for the sample file.
It makes perfect sense. Do to my inexperience, I thought the strategies I tried were less likely to give me problems, than something I had not even read about (the revolve tool) before. Thanks again.

Regarding not mixing Part with Part Design, that is news to me. :shock: Never heard of it. :? Thanks for the warning.
wisecad

Post by wisecad »

drmacro wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:45 am
That's generally what is said to new users to avoid the gory details.

But, the more accurate sentence is: "You shouldn't mix Part and PartDesign until you understand the implications and pitfalls. " :mrgreen:

"gory details" :o You are scaring me :shock:

:D :D :D
fatbeard

Post by fatbeard »

made with the partdesign workbench and lofting in mere minutes:
Screenshot from 2021-06-24 14-54-57.png
Screenshot from 2021-06-24 14-54-57.png (11.73 KiB) Viewed 914 times
Attachments
lofting.FCStd
(15.31 KiB) Downloaded 28 times
Nothing is ever impossible for those that don't have to do it.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

The best solution is a Revolution.

Is your thickness constant ? (the same thickness = only one dimension in the sketch)
The dimensions are for the interior or the exterior ?
Attachments
Corpus delicti 27.png
Corpus delicti 27.png (26.44 KiB) Viewed 867 times
wisecad

Post by wisecad »

fatbeard wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 12:56 pm made with the partdesign workbench and lofting in mere minutes:
Hello Fatbeard. :) Thank you so much for your sample file.
This is exactly what I had originally conceptualized, except I did not know how to implement it. I took your file, deleted the loft and re-built it myself to make sure I understood your construction. :geek: It was exactly as I thought. Very cool. :idea: Now I know how to do it. Thanks again.