Bug - Cannot leave Sketch without recomputing even without changing anything.

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
leoheck
Veteran

Bug - Cannot leave Sketch without recomputing even without changing anything.

Post by leoheck »

Is it possible to have a Cancel button there?
Or at least a command or a function that I can run on the python script to exit from the Sketch without having to wait minutes to nothing to be changed.
Last edited by leoheck on Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
M4x
Veteran

Re: Bug - Cannot leave Sketch without recomputing the whole world.

Post by M4x »

This is no bug, please make sure you've read the appropriate documentation / threads for guidance of how to deal with bugs for example. You're here long enough to know better.

Regarding your question, have a look for skip recomputes at Tree_view. Further tricks can be found at the Spreadsheet workbench. I'm planning to work on an update for this section soon.
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

Moved from Developers corner.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

I believe it has been said before; if it takes "several minutes" to exit a sketch the sketch is way too complicated. :shock:

Gene
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

M4x wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 2:49 pm This is no bug, please make sure you've read the appropriate documentation / threads for guidance of how to deal with bugs for example. You're here long enough to know better.

Regarding your question, have a look for skip recomputes at Tree_view. Further tricks can be found at the Spreadsheet workbench. I'm planning to work on an update for this section soon.
This has nothing to do with the tree view. I am asking for a solution to leave the Sketch edition, without having to recompute anything. Does it make sense?
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

GeneFC wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 4:46 pm I believe it has been said before; if it takes "several minutes" to exit a sketch the sketch is way too complicated. :shock:

Gene
Well, I am assuming I am as much as stupid as any other user can be or even more stupid. So, the question is not about having a complex Sketch. The question is more like avoid recomputation when it is not even necessary.

It is pretty hard to ask questions on this forum. People always push questions away instead of replying politely. This is why good and new users constantly prefer asking questions on Reddit instead.
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

leoheck wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:35 pm This has nothing to do with the tree view. I am asking for a solution to leave the Sketch edition, without having to recompute anything. Does it make sense?
If you would've done as I've asked you to do, you would've found this:
Skip recomputes: if active, the document's objects will not recompute automatically.

Allow partial recomputes: if active, the document will allow recompute of only some objects.
From my point of view, this is one of the very best forums I know of.
leoheck
Veteran

Post by leoheck »

I am aware of this hidden checkbox to skip recomputes. Hidden because you have to right-click the document name to even find it.
I also, have no "Allow partial recomputes" there. This item is missing.

Also, the Tree-View page states:
> Allow partial recomputes: if active, the document will allow recompute of only some objects.

Which is useless for someone looking for information since "some objects" mean nothing.

Maybe I am not explaining it well. I am not talking about skipping recomputing any object.
I am looking for something that avoids recomputation when leaving the Sketch edition mode if, and only if any change was made.
chrisb
Veteran

Re: Bug - Cannot leave Sketch without recomputing even without changing anything.

Post by chrisb »

Meanwhile there are at least three points to be discussed here.

1) I don't have the feeling that this topic is especially impolite, but maybe I have been too long in the woods to see the trees.

2) As m4x said: this is no bug it works as documented.

3) Nevertheless it is not efficient, if you just want to look at a sketch. Skipping recomputes is no solution, because the model will stay marked for recompute. So a Cancel button would make much sense.

Even simple sketches can cause time intensive recomputes, if they are at the beginning of a complex model.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
Pauvres_honteux

Re: Bug - Cannot leave Sketch without recomputing even without changing anything.

Post by Pauvres_honteux »

This seems suspiciously similar to
[Feature request] Local update function/button ?