How to change the angle and scale in TechDraw ?

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
Kirjaissa

How to change the angle and scale in TechDraw ?

Post by Kirjaissa »

Are Scale and Rotation implemented or are they just placeholders ?
It's like they're just text fields that are not connected to anything, they do not affect the scale nor the rotation of the drawing.
-- Using weekly build
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: How to change the angle and scale in TechDraw ?

Post by Shalmeneser »

Be more precise.
Kirjaissa

Post by Kirjaissa »

Shalmeneser wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 7:02 pm Be more precise.
Changing the value of scale to a number different from 1 doesn't change the scale of the view, even after clicking away
Changing the value of rotation to a number different from 0 doesn't change the orientation of the view.
This works as expected for the other fields in the same section (X and Y), so I assume it is not yet implemented. Or is it ?
Attachments
rotation=40 scale=2,4
rotation=40 scale=2,4
techdraw1.png (37.03 KiB) Viewed 5815 times
rotation=0 scale=1
rotation=0 scale=1
techdraw0.png (36.42 KiB) Viewed 5815 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

No problem for me.
Try TechDraw_RedrawPage for angle.
Attachments
Capture du 2021-06-24 23-18-00.png
Capture du 2021-06-24 23-18-00.png (58.59 KiB) Viewed 5804 times
Kirjaissa

Post by Kirjaissa »

Shalmeneser wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 9:20 pm No problem for me.
Try TechDraw_RedrawPage for angle.
Are you using the latest version ? Maybe some bug was introduced at some point. I'm a weekly build.
It's not like I'm going to force redraw each time I change the value of a parameter.
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

weekly build.
It's not like I'm going to force redraw each time I change the value of a parameter.
You are not supposed to play with rotation.
You set scale and rotation at the beginning of your TechDrawing.

Scale is usefull but rotation seems useless : you choose your view in the 3D view and decide of its position. Why rotate the view ?
Kirjaissa

Post by Kirjaissa »

Shalmeneser wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 11:43 am weekly build.
You are not supposed to play with rotation.
You set scale and rotation at the beginning of your TechDrawing.

Scale is usefull but rotation seems useless : you choose your view in the 3D view and decide of its position. Why rotate the view ?
Maybe some of the users want to rotate and scale the views because they want to fit several views on a page ?
I guess it can be fixed by changing the label to "Scale (please redraw after change; also don't use too much, you're not supposed to play with it)" so that people won't use it too much ?
MSOlsen65

Post by MSOlsen65 »

Kirjaissa wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:53 pm
Changing the value of scale to a number different from 1 doesn't change the scale of the view, even after clicking away
Changing the value of rotation to a number different from 0 doesn't change the orientation of the view.
This works as expected for the other fields in the same section (X and Y), so I assume it is not yet implemented. Or is it ?
I notice in your screen shots that the parameter "Scale Type" is set to "Page". By definition, the only scale for Page is 1. Therefore, nothing changes.

If you change to scale type to "Automatic" it will adjust the scale to a size that will allow that image (or linked images group) to fit upon the set paper size. This however, also leads to a fixed scaling (i.e. one that cannot be changed after the fact).

To achieve the greatest flexibility of scaling, which is what I believe is your intention, change the scale type to "Custom". You can them set any scaling of you choice for that image. If you will be placing multiple different images on the same drawing, then you must change both scale type and scale for each image independently.

However, if you wish several views of the same item (i.e. top, front, right, top right 3D, etc.) then you can use the "Insert Multiple Linked Views" button on the Tech Draw workbench. This begins with the view shown in the model space and allows you to add views from the eight surrounding camera position and from the rear using a series of check boxes. Above the check boxes, you can set you Perspective View (First or Third angle), the Scale Type (Page, Automatic, or Custom), and if custom was set as the scale type, then you can set the scale for the group as a whole.

As I do custom joinery, I often have complex "one of" parts, and this multiple linked view method is handy to provide a good set of relational drawings. I generally set my central/main view to be either the most complex, or most representative face. This means that all but the corner view become 2D and that any view can be used to provide at least one extent measure. Thus reducing the clutter of measures around any one view. Initially I set the Scale Type to Automatic and click Apply. This provides an initial rough scaling that is often good enough with just some slight repositioning of the views. If the scale proves awkward for use (e.g. 0.371 or some other irrational decimal) then I switch to Custom and proceed downward to the next "best fit" rational decimal. My choice is generally dictated by the units system for my project (e.g. 0.370 or 0.350 for metric, and 0.333 [1:3] or 0.3125 [5:16] for imperial. Living in Canada, a great many of my clients insist upon imperial.

As for rotation, I have not had need of that feature, so at the moment cannot speak to how it works. Currently, I am having a great deal of trouble with a recent update to FC, and sadly, Tech Draw is one of those trouble children. The latest stable version simply refuses to properly load Tech Draw pages and Spreadsheets. So it could be a bit before I can address the Rotation parameter. That said, FC is a parametric modeler; therefore, don't let others tell you that you should not change parametric values. Such is nonsense, changing parameters, or at least being able to do so, is the entire point of FC.

Hope this helped, and have fun with FC.
Sincerely,

Michael S. Olsen
Electrical Engineer & Joiner
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Post by Shalmeneser »

I notice in your screen shots that the parameter "Scale Type" is set to "Page".
Your brain is better than mine. New users are so surprising.

@MSOlsen65 : great explanation !
Don't let others tell you that you should not ...
:roll:
I was asking "Why rotate the view ?" to try to understand.
Kirjaissa

Post by Kirjaissa »

MSOlsen65 wrote: Fri Jun 25, 2021 1:47 pm
Kirjaissa wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 8:53 pm
I notice in your screen shots that the parameter "Scale Type" is set to "Page". By definition, the only scale for Page is 1. Therefore, nothing changes.

If you change to scale type to "Automatic" it will adjust the scale to a size that will allow that image (or linked images group) to fit upon the set paper size. This however, also leads to a fixed scaling (i.e. one that cannot be changed after the fact).

To achieve the greatest flexibility of scaling, which is what I believe is your intention, change the scale type to "Custom". You can them set any scaling of you choice for that image. If you will be placing multiple different images on the same drawing, then you must change both scale type and scale for each image independently.

However, if you wish several views of the same item (i.e. top, front, right, top right 3D, etc.) then you can use the "Insert Multiple Linked Views" button on the Tech Draw workbench. This begins with the view shown in the model space and allows you to add views from the eight surrounding camera position and from the rear using a series of check boxes. Above the check boxes, you can set you Perspective View (First or Third angle), the Scale Type (Page, Automatic, or Custom), and if custom was set as the scale type, then you can set the scale for the group as a whole.

As I do custom joinery, I often have complex "one of" parts, and this multiple linked view method is handy to provide a good set of relational drawings. I generally set my central/main view to be either the most complex, or most representative face. This means that all but the corner view become 2D and that any view can be used to provide at least one extent measure. Thus reducing the clutter of measures around any one view. Initially I set the Scale Type to Automatic and click Apply. This provides an initial rough scaling that is often good enough with just some slight repositioning of the views. If the scale proves awkward for use (e.g. 0.371 or some other irrational decimal) then I switch to Custom and proceed downward to the next "best fit" rational decimal. My choice is generally dictated by the units system for my project (e.g. 0.370 or 0.350 for metric, and 0.333 [1:3] or 0.3125 [5:16] for imperial. Living in Canada, a great many of my clients insist upon imperial.

As for rotation, I have not had need of that feature, so at the moment cannot speak to how it works. Currently, I am having a great deal of trouble with a recent update to FC, and sadly, Tech Draw is one of those trouble children. The latest stable version simply refuses to properly load Tech Draw pages and Spreadsheets. So it could be a bit before I can address the Rotation parameter. That said, FC is a parametric modeler; therefore, don't let others tell you that you should not change parametric values. Such is nonsense, changing parameters, or at least being able to do so, is the entire point of FC.

Hope this helped, and have fun with FC.
So I dug a little bit into this (not the source code), and it seems like TechDraw/View is made (instanced) into an inconsistent state:
Scale Type / Page (the default mode) looks like it wants to ignore the Scale value, but by default, the Scale edit is set to Editable.
If you set the Scale Type to something else, then set it back to Page, the Scale is no longer editable, and reset to 1. This is the state the View should be in.
If you then set it to Custom, Scale is editable again.
At this point it is in a consistent state, logic being: Page -> Scale =1, non editable; Custom-> scale = user defined, editable.
Automatic does nothing here (weekly up to date)
This doesn't explain why it doesn't refresh. Is it a bug or a feature ?