slice apart tool

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
riley roo

slice apart tool

Post by riley roo »

Hi, I'm relatively new to 3d modeling as a whole and keep running into simple problems that are user error for the most part, but this problem is one that I'm not able to find any reference of anywhere. I'm pretty sure I'm just doing something wrong, I just don't know what!

My problem is that I'm attempting to slice apart a model using a plane, but when I do, there is a folder created like when normally slicing an object, however it contains 889 slices when I'm only expecting 2. Could I get some help to figure out what I'm doing wrong?

Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24291 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: (HEAD detached at 0.19.2)
Hash: 7b5e18a0759de778b74d3a5c17eba9cb815035ac
Python version: 3.8.8
Qt version: 5.12.9
Coin version: 4.0.0
OCC version: 7.4.0
Locale: C/Default (C)
Attachments
use the slice apart tool.FCStd
Im just trying to slice the dovetail away from the part
(576.87 KiB) Downloaded 9 times
chrisb
Veteran

Re: slice apart tool

Post by chrisb »

Hi and welcome to the forum!

You shouldn't slice with a plane that is coplanar to a face of the sliced object. Du to rounding issues, sometimes one and sometimes the other plane is above. On Boolean operations this leads to well known failures, here to the numerous slices.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
riley roo

Post by riley roo »

[quote=chrisb post_id=512397 time=1624571920 user_id=5646]

You shouldn't slice with a plane that is coplanar to a face of the sliced object. Du to rounding issues, sometimes one and sometimes the other plane is above. On Boolean operations this leads to well known failures, here to the numerous slices.
[/quote]

ok, I think I understand. What should I do then to get the desired result?
M4x
Veteran

Post by M4x »

Are you able.to move the plane a little bit? (On my phone, can't take a look at your model)
riley roo

Post by riley roo »

[quote=M4x post_id=512405 time=1624572947 user_id=13711]
Are you able.to move the plane a little bit?
[/quote]

Actually yeah, that worked perfectly! Thanks. Just out of curiosity though, how would I split a part along a coplanar face if I had to, is it even possible?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

riley roo wrote: Thu Jun 24, 2021 10:05 pm What should I do then to get the desired result?
Move th slicing plane a tiny bit to the left, i.e. set Placement.Position.x to -2.561. This is usually good enough for a manufacturing process,
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.