Make a dang hole in a cube

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
GeneFC
Veteran

Re: Make a dang hole in a cube

Post by GeneFC »

kisolre wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:07 am Or maybe a Preview like in Loft/Sweep would be nicer ;) :D
I am a bit confused. I see a preview when I enter the pocket operation. If nothing is showing, then I select reverse and the pocket shows up.

A limited depth pocket on the bottom side of an opaque object does not show, but without transparency or hidden lines I don't know how that should be shown.

Gene
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

hide the object by clicking on the space bar
and don't confuse Pad and Pocket: Pad you make a "full" volume, Pocket to make a hole
wolits

Post by wolits »

The FreeCAD GUI needs to be more flashy, more in your face flaunting its ornaments.

RTFM helps, but that's a lot of RTFM at this point. Trust me, as a beginner, it's A LOT of RTFM. It's the only thing that has me progressing at any measurable rate, as help within FreeCAD isn't not just absent, but FreeCAD is stubbornly shy in offering suggestions. If a preview comes into works, maybe have previews side by side for BOTH ways. I know this is intensively a bad idea as a project progresses, but for a beginner...

One thing is for sure as a beginner, that properties table needs to somehow be brought into the users focus more, curiosities need to be drawn to it. I feel at creation time, forget bringing up the unique creation dialogs and just bring up a large view of the properties table (the creation dialog seems like a "Are you sure?" prompt anyways). I'm not sure if it's an option, but when double clicking a part/body/etc., I'd much rather see that properties table in a larger window than the creation dialog.

Lastly, while I may just be a hobbyist, let my post count reflect 2 things: 1. I have even less full 24hr days using FreeCAD. 2. Everything I've wanted to do in 4 DiY projects has been 100% completed in FreeCAD.
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

wolits wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 10:58 pmRTFM helps
:D

I am often tempted to put that phrase out there, but luckily so far have refrained from doing it - so thanks for doing that!
Hopefully more people more quickly start to realize that the docs of fc are not that bad, one just has to get to know that it is actually there, and most of the time is a real time saver for everyone, casual user, power users, code devs etc.

@chrisb, well, does not have to be but any trigger is better than none as it is now.
monsteroyd

Post by monsteroyd »

Ok thanks for the replies.

I will check out those PDFs someone had in their signature.

My comment would be that the connection from the hole to the sketch is vague. How would I know that I need the center point of a circle in a sketch that has to be made on the XY plane and then moved to a face? I think it would be helpful for FREECAD to at least have some verbiage about the connection between the hole and the sketch on the Hole page. Could I use a point instead of a circle? Why not have the Hole function select the location of the hole? Just seems weird.

OK, I will try the sketch with one circle approach. However, it sure seems like a lot of work, especially if you need more than one hole. I assume I need a sketch for each hole.

Thanks for the pdf

Monty
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Have you seen the wiki page for Hole?

https://wiki.freecadweb.org/PartDesign_Hole

Capture.PNG
Capture.PNG (75.48 KiB) Viewed 484 times

If you read the entire wiki page your other questions will be answered.

It would help if there was more description in a tool tip when trying to use "Hole", but there is only so much that can be added without creating unmanageable clutter.

Unfortunately the name "Hole" is very poor. It is possible to create a plain ordinary cylindrical opening, but that is not really the purpose of "Hole". Many new users have been fooled.

Gene
Cekuhnen

Post by Cekuhnen »

drmacro wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 10:27 pm That's exactly what I teach in the first pdf in the series found at the link shown in my signature below.
And in the second pdf a teach a second way to do the same.
ah nice a brief PDF about making technical drawings with FC - much appreciated
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University
Interior - Industrial Design
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

I added a little clarification to the page:
The Hole feature creates one or more holes from a selected sketch's circles and arcs. If arcs are present they must be part of closed contours. All non arc/circle entities are ignored but they still must form closed contours.
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Cekuhnen wrote: Fri Jul 23, 2021 6:03 pm ...
ah nice a brief PDF about making technical drawings with FC - much appreciated
You're welcome.

It is very brief, not intended to be anything close to a deep dive. ;)
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Cekuhnen

Post by Cekuhnen »

that's fine - it was very useful as a jump start.
MacOS Big Sur / Win 10

Designer | Faculty
Wayne State University
Interior - Industrial Design