Make a dang hole in a cube

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
monsteroyd

Make a dang hole in a cube

Post by monsteroyd »

Hi,

I have searched and read and googled. First, let me say I am coming from Fusion360, and the FreeCad's GUI is very unintuitive to me. My problem I know, but why can't I pick a face of a solid and put a dang hole through it? I've tried making a sketch under my shape with 2 circles in it, selected that sketch, and then associated the hole thing with it, but no hole in my shape.

So I am making a very simple shape, my sketch is just a 50 mm x 50 mm square, that I then pad out to a thickness of 4 mm. Now I want 2 holes in that shape for screws. So I made another sketch (since it seems like you can't pick the original sketch) and put 2 circles on it on the XY plane. When I select that sketch and do the 'hole' thing, it does nothing.

I am missing something fundamental about the way FreeCad works, I know. But I can't seem to figure it what it is. I was an immediate level user of Fusion360, so I know a way to do things, but not the FreeCad way. My first thoughts were why do all the sketches have to start on the origin planes. Why not choose the plane when you start the sketch, then you could pick a face. Anyway, I am rambling on with my frustration which is not the point.

How do you make a hole in a solid?

Do I need to move the second sketch with the 2 circles to the face of the solid?

I am using FreeCad 0.19 on Windows 10.
Word size of OS: 64-bit
Word size of FreeCAD: 64-bit
Version: 0.19.24276 (Git)
Build type: Release
Branch: releases/FreeCAD-0-19
Hash: a88db11e0a908f6e38f92bfc5187b13ebe470438
Python version: 3.8.6+
Qt version: 5.15.1
Coin version: 4.0.1
OCC version: 7.5.0
Locale: English/United States (en_US)

TIA Monty
Attachments
ShadeCableRest.FCStd
(17.51 KiB) Downloaded 26 times
Shalmeneser
Veteran

Re: Make a dang hole in a cube

Post by Shalmeneser »

Dang ??
PartDesign_Pad or PartDesign_Pocket ?
Why can't I pick a face of a solid.
It's what you have done : select a face + do sketch.
Attachments
ShadeCableRest.FCStd
(19.81 KiB) Downloaded 18 times
GeneFC
Veteran

Post by GeneFC »

Shalmeneser wrote: Tue Jul 13, 2021 9:46 pm It's what you have done : select a face + do sketch.
It is highly recommended that you always give a different file name when responding. Reuse will lead to utter confusion for anyone else reading this topic.

Gene
drmacro
Veteran

Post by drmacro »

Coincidentally...
That's exactly what I teach in the first pdf in the series found at the link shown in my signature below.

And in the second pdf a teach a second way to do the same.
:mrgreen:
Star Trek II: The Wrath of Khan: Spock: "...His pattern indicates two-dimensional thinking."
Bance
Veteran

Post by Bance »

FC pads out of the screen and pockets or holes into the screen, just check reversed=true.
heda
Veteran

Post by heda »

wonder how many posts there are about the "reverse thing" in pd wb...

so, a random thought,
if a pocket is done, there could be an internal check to see if the resulting volume actually is smaller, if not automatically change the setting of reverse, possibly with an infobox raised with that message.
that would probably reduce the posts on the subject matter (=enhanced "usability")
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

heda wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 5:05 am if a pocket is done, there could be an internal check to see if the resulting volume actually is smaller, if not automatically change the setting of reverse, possibly with an infobox raised with that message.
that would probably reduce the posts on the subject matter (=enhanced "usability")
I sure don't want this depend on smaller/bigger volume only, but zero volume could be a reason to set Reverse automatically.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

Or maybe a Preview like in Loft/Sweep would be nicer ;) :D
The Tool shape is generated anyway, why not just show it to the User?
chrisb
Veteran

Post by chrisb »

kisolre wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:07 am Or maybe a Preview like in Loft/Sweep would be nicer ;) :D
+1
"Through all" could be a problem though.
A Sketcher Lecture with in-depth information is available in English, auf Deutsch, en français, en español.
kisolre
Veteran

Post by kisolre »

chrisb wrote: Wed Jul 14, 2021 11:46 am "Through all" could be a problem though.
Wasn't that fixed recently when the length is now calculated by the parent feature bounding box and some other infos? So the Tool is now reasonable length instead of the fixed 10m in the past?