disdyakis development

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
symbolicM

Re: disdyakis development

Post by symbolicM »

edwilliams16 wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 11:50 pm More user interface on those Macros - but nothing quite as exotic as this polyhedron.

I 3D printed one.
Is it sealed? Does it float? if it has sufficient ballast it should remain horizontal along the regular polygon equator.
I'm considering additive-printing moulds to turn out the mushroom mycelium panels that will clad this construction.

Thanks for your perspective and good works on this!
___
ordinary by design
symbolicM

Post by symbolicM »

chrisb wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:29 pm you can use a normal sketch for that; if you don't use it for feature generation, it doesn't have the usual restrictions such as no crossings or T-joins.
I quickly realised. Still struggling with this though. Selecting a three lines from three different sketches then Datum Plane is not producing a Plane at the angle I expect.

Just searched up this vid and will view to see if order of selection makes a difference.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8DCsPCwWT3o

I'm keen to construct the object myself to gain competence. The model above is brilliant but the transform axis appears oddly aligned and using is feels unwieldy.

Since the the opposing triangles are parallel I only need to produce one correctly proportioned prism and rotate it around the ordinal to complete the solid with a boolean merge.
___
ordinary by design
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

his can be a fun way to do it
it is enough to join each vertex by a straight line, are you agree :?:
Attachments
Gearball.FCStd
(573.34 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Gearball.PNG
Gearball.PNG (107.77 KiB) Viewed 642 times
papyblaise
Veteran

Post by papyblaise »

continuing on my idea, if that answers the question, in 3 mouse clicks
Attachments
Gearball3.FCStd
(33.53 KiB) Downloaded 20 times
Capture3.PNG
Capture3.PNG (16.8 KiB) Viewed 638 times
symbolicM

Post by symbolicM »

symbolicM wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:59 am
chrisb wrote: Thu Jul 15, 2021 9:29 pm you can use a normal sketch for that; if you don't use it for feature generation, it doesn't have the usual restrictions such as no crossings or T-joins.
Selecting a three lines from three different sketches then Datum Plane is not producing a Plane at the angle I expect.
After re-viewing the video I realise that I should have been selecting the vertices not the lines.
Overlapping sketches make that a difficulty. Hiding the unneeded references and taking care to zoom adequately solved the issue.

I'm documenting my slow progress in this manner in the hopes that it will help future initiates.

Next step is the prism. Onward!
___
ordinary by design
edwilliams16
Veteran

Post by edwilliams16 »

symbolicM wrote: Sat Jul 24, 2021 10:25 am Is it sealed? Does it float?
Thanks for your perspective and good works on this!
It floats as I only used 20% fill- but I wouldn't guarantee long term water-tightness without some coating applied.

Once you've made the object with the macro, you can use the placement tool to reorient it.