How to design multiple fitting parts the best way

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
tre4b

How to design multiple fitting parts the best way

Post by tre4b »

Having settled to designing individual things with freecad pretty well now I have reached a point where I want to design a part that interacts with another previously designed part.

I can happily put all the bodies for the first part in a group within the file then add a group for the new part and start building it in there referencing the previous part using clones or with Global data in DynamicDate etc. I could do the same using a Part. I can also create a new file then Link the bodies of the original part into this.

I have read about Assembly however I want to be designing parts that interact rather than just assembling diverse parts.

I can see there are a lot of potential workflows for this and wondered if there is a recommended way to go about doing it?
Bance
Veteran

Re: How to design multiple fitting parts the best way

Post by Bance »

Have a look at ppemawm's post here:-

https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?f=24&t=48473
tre4b

Re: How to design multiple fitting parts the best way

Post by tre4b »

Thank you, that is pretty much how I am working to date which is good to see. I was worried if I got more bodies etc. the models might start to struggle a bit with memory or something. ppemawn doesn't seem to have this problem though and these are far more complex than I am doing :-)