Unable to export multiple bodies for optimized cutting

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
kreyren

Unable to export multiple bodies for optimized cutting

Post by kreyren »

I've made a turtlelarium in FreeCAD:
turlelarium_preview.png
turlelarium_preview.png (12.95 KiB) Viewed 1622 times
How can I export it optimized for cutting? e.g.
makeshift_nesting_example.png
makeshift_nesting_example.png (58.21 KiB) Viewed 1622 times
FreeCAD file:

Any relevant info is appreciated! ^-^

FWIW i've tried to export it as flatenedSVG to use Deepnest/SVGNest but i am unable to export invidual pieces as the `Flattened SVG` and DXF files just generate a top-side view:
flatened_SVG_attempt.png
flatened_SVG_attempt.png (85.36 KiB) Viewed 1597 times
Tried to export the shapes using lcinterlocking workbench and then nest them in freecad which generates the flattened parts, but complains about "faces":
Nesting_attempt.png
Nesting_attempt.png (262.07 KiB) Viewed 1555 times
Exporting the flattened SVG in SVGNest causes infinite loading:

---

Expected end-result:
- [DONE] Flattened svg/dxf file
- [HELP_WANTED] Nested image optimized for cutting
Attachments
Turtlerarium.FCStd
(110.38 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
Last edited by kreyren on Tue Jul 20, 2021 12:11 am, edited 6 times in total.
PrzemoF
Veteran

Re: Unable to export multiple bodies for optimized cutting

Post by PrzemoF »

Welcome to the forum!

1. Please read the red banner at the top starting with IMPORTANT...
2. Post all images and files here. Your FreeCAD file will expire in 6 days and the topic will become useless for future users.
3. Ask a proper forum question: what you want to do, what you tried, what was the result, what was the expected result.

Your current post is a borderline case. I thought it's a spam and you almost got banned, but then I found link to the FreeCAD model below the image on an external server.

We're really friendly crowd here - please make some effort to help us help you..
kreyren

Post by kreyren »

PrzemoF wrote: Sun Jul 18, 2021 6:56 pm Welcome to the forum!

1. Please read the red banner at the top starting with IMPORTANT...
2. Post all images and files here. Your FreeCAD file will expire in 6 days and the topic will become useless for future users.
3. Ask a proper forum question: what you want to do, what you tried, what was the result, what was the expected result.

Your current post is a borderline case. I thought it's a spam and you almost got banned, but then I found link to the FreeCAD model below the image on an external server.

We're really friendly crowd here - please make some effort to help us help you..
Updated the OP to the best of my ability, please check ^-^

Context: Made it to reference my issue, bcs none was answering me on Matrix and IRC on the subject and i didn't expect to get answer here fast enough. So integrated it that way to be able to ask in multiple places u.u
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

OK, much better now! Thanks!

I'm new to this - check my results. - what's the final result you need? A dxf or svg with all parts close as possible ready for cut? I don't see any errors, but SVGnest have problem with digesting the svg, but (TypeError: p.pathSegList.appendItem is not a function) but that's way outside of FreeCAD, so I'm not sure how to help.

dxf made in FreeCAD
svg produced with inkscape.

Edit: SVGNest can't even convert simple 4 rectangles file in inkscape SVG and plain SVG format.... I guess I just don't understand how to use it.
Attachments
export_shape4.svg
(88.27 KiB) Downloaded 43 times
Turtlerarium.FCStd
(110.38 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
export_shape4.dxf
(64.8 KiB) Downloaded 33 times
kreyren

Post by kreyren »

PrzemoF wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:18 pm what's the final result you need? A dxf or svg with all parts close as possible ready for cut?
Yep! Where the main motivation is to make it more economical and reduce waste ideally -> I would like to optimize the sizes that way e.g. if i have 1400x800x400 it should produce around 100mm2 of waste which can be reduced by using 1400x800x500 to get 0mm2 waste
PrzemoF wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 6:18 pm dxf made in FreeCAD
svg produced with inkscape.
Your export has the same issue as mine which generates a huge amount of waste (red color):
freecad_flattened_difference.png
freecad_flattened_difference.png (5.39 KiB) Viewed 1501 times
Which according to GIMP the pixel difference is 340461 black to 220005 red -> 340461 / 220005 = 1.5475148 ~= 150.5% -> I have to pay ~50.5% more for the order.

So i need to optimize this for cutting where the ideal (and possible with measurement optimization) scenario is 0% waste
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

OK, I'd suggest to get in touch with the author of the Laser Cut Interlocking and ask him for help or maybe suggest implementing the nestsvg algorithm.

P.S. I just found out that the workbench is experimental and the author doesn't seem to be active. So you're flying solo: manual placing or the parts, find out what's wrong with nestsvg or find another tool....
kreyren

Post by kreyren »

PrzemoF wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:11 pm OK, I'd suggest to get in touch with the author of the Laser Cut Interlocking and ask him for help or maybe suggest implementing the nestsvg algorithm.
FreeCAD has nesting engine (https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic.php?t=23484) i just can't import the shapes in it, bcs it complains about "faces"
kreyren

Post by kreyren »

So i assume that this is a user-error of me mishandling the objects :/
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

OK, I didn't know about the built in nesting. Yorik might help.
kreyren

Post by kreyren »

PrzemoF wrote: Mon Jul 19, 2021 8:45 pm OK, I didn't know about the built in nesting. Yorik might help.
How do i ask yorik to help? I already posted https://forum.freecadweb.org/viewtopic. ... 10#p517823, but none seems to be responding to it