Unable to export multiple bodies for optimized cutting

Post here for help on using FreeCAD's graphical user interface (GUI).
Forum rules
and Helpful information
IMPORTANT: Please click here and read this first, before asking for help

Also, be nice to others! Read the FreeCAD code of conduct!
PrzemoF
Veteran

Re: Unable to export multiple bodies for optimized cutting

Post by PrzemoF »

He's one of the core developers, so please give him some time. Your case seems to be rather trivial for manual solution, so I'd go that way for now.
kreyren

Post by kreyren »

Was able to make it work, i had to do export in LCinterlocking and then export flattened SVG from `test[0-9]{3}` objects instead of the shapes for SVGNest to process which gets me to 10.50597% waste where FreeCAD is a limiting factor as ideally i would want to set a range of sizes and have Nester to provide optimal nesting with focus on waste reduction.
Attachments
nesting.png
nesting.png (9.25 KiB) Viewed 488 times
PrzemoF
Veteran

Post by PrzemoF »

Thanks for sharing the solution! It looks much better, but still if you rotate the 45 deg parts you can get a better solution.
yorik
Founder

Post by yorik »

It looks like SVGnest is really a better solution than FreeCAD's nesting tool (which is my own feeble attempt at a nesting algorithm). I'd really like to integrate it in FreeCAD, but using different programming language turns the task difficult :)

I don't remember the Arch nesting algorithm to specifically require faces, but it might make sense... (Faces can contain several wires, which otherwise would be rearranged, and also we get normals). In any case, the tool could easily be changed to take closed wires too. I'll add that to my todo list, but if anyone is interested to try in the meantime, go for it ;)

In the meantime, if a sketch contains one closed wire, it's easy to convert it into a face with the Draft Wire tool